Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 3:10am
Quote: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
DIY shed electrics - looking for advice on Part P (Read 16696 times)
Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

DIY shed electrics - looking for advice on Part P
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:04am

I am currently wiring up my newly built large shed (see http://www.gisburne.com/shed), or rather I was until I heard about the 1st January 2005 deadline where, as a non-qualified person, I will be unable to do this kind of work.  However, I'd like some advice from a qualified person - if I do the 'donkey work', will I then be able to get a spark in to check it and complete the job for me?

I had always intended to employ an electrician to fit a second consumer unit in the shed, attach the underground cable, and connect it all up to the house supply.  However, I consider myself a competent person and having digested (over a period of some weeks) the excellent 'Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting' I can certainly run the cables around the ceiling joists, and fit switches, plugs and lighting points.  Is it worth me doing this, or will an electrician now respond that he can't touch it because of the new regulations (because it's not his work), or will he (as I hope) check the work I've done and then complete the job for me?

I could, if necessary, just run the cabling and leave it at that, letting the spark attach everything, but I would prefer to do as much as possible, partly to save labour costs, partly because I am confident that I can do the work.

While reading the Which book I put together a small circuit, just a bulb and 2 switches (2-way switching), and (I didn't tell you this!) attached a plug to the end.  It all worked fine, and I have today done the same in the shed, just for one of the required lighting points, and that ran off a plug as well (I didn't tell you that either!), so I do understand what is involved.  I don't want to do the whole thing if I'm going to be told that it can't be worked on, so... advice please?!

Thanks

Nick

PS to make it clear: I have no intention of doing the 'serious' jobs involving attaching anything to the consumer unit, just circuits for the lighting and power sockets.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 12:07am by Gisburne »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: DIY shed electrics - looking for advice on Par
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2004, 12:06am

Call your local authority - under Part P they are supposed to supply resource to do the certification.

However, it might be worth getting a helpful local spark round first to give some advice. Reason being that if you get the local authority in and they fail it then you've got the test fees all over again. A local spark ought to be able to answer any obvious questions you might have, and might even give it the once over before you go to the local authority (without him actually issuing the certificate).

Just a thought.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2004, 9:23am

Thanks for that.  I'm definitely going to have to get a local spark in earlier than I expected.  My original plan was to put in the lighting circuit and not actually use it until I got a spark in next year, with the finer weather.  The reason for that - the shed is 60 feet away and digging a 60-foot trench for the underground cable, in the mud pit that is my garden, in the run-up to Christmas, isn't a big priority!

I think one problem I have is that Part P doesn't come in until 1/1/2005, and had I not already started running cables by then, obviously I would have to notify the council BEFORE starting.  As I've ALREADY started, and intend to do my part of the work before 1/1/2005, where do I stand?  In effect half the work will be done before the rules come in, half (actual connection to the house) after.  I know the whole thing will be inspected, but notification before the work starts in this crossover period is in my case a bit of a grey area!

By the way, I know it obviously won't pass any kind of inspection with a plug on the end of my circuit, plugged into my extension lead (which is how I've checked it's working so far), but is there anything dangerous about me doing that?  Until I'm all wired up in the shed, I was in any case using a bulb/bulb holder on a long flex+plug, so to my mind at least, fitting a plug to my circuit to test it wasn't all that different.  (Be gentle with the abuse/mockery folks!)

Cheers

Nick

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2004, 10:00am

'Contracts' agreed betweem 2 parties before 1st of Jan and due to be completed before March are presently exempt from Part P, so make a contract with your wife and do it yourself - no one'll know in any case unless you involve your local Building Control people for any other aspect of the shed construction.

Keep coming here for further advice too.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2004, 10:29am

Thanks TT, now that's another date to think about!  I didn't know about the March date.  I can certainly get 'my bit' done before March, but then again my bit isn't actually going to be connected to the mains for quite a while (cos of the trench required).  In that respect I'm probably doing something unusual - putting in wiring without actually using it!

No, building regs people have not been required for the shed - it's just below 30 square metres, which is the cut-off point where you need to get them involved.

The bottom line is probably this: I don't want to be told that I should have notified someone BEFORE starting and as a result will have to rip it all out and get it put it back by someone more qualified.  I seem to be okay in this respect, given that as I write this there is no law today stopping me doing it myself.

Further to your advice, contracts were almost certainly exchanged yesterday: 'are you going to get your lazy bum out of bed and do the shed wiring?' ... 'alright then' was the basic agreement!

I also don't want to put the circuits in and be told by a spark that he won't connect it up because of Part P, and because it's been put in by an amateur.  Given that I won't be having that part of the work done until 2005 it's still something to worry about.

Typical, I've had years to build a shed and do the wiring, and now when I finally do it they bring in new laws!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2004, 11:48am

[quote author=Gisburne  link=1102118646/0#4 date=1102156141]Typical, I've had years to build a shed and do the wiring, and now when I finally do it they bring in new laws! [/quote]

They won't stop at part P. Rumours are flying around that they are looking at Part XYZ for plumbing. Soon you won't be able to change a tap washer without involving your local council.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2004, 11:53am

Don't concern yourself too much with any potential fall-out from Part P - Where are you in the UK? County will do.
Someone here may live near you and having followed this thread, might be prepared to do a a bit to help out.
There's always a way round stupid legislation so don't get hung up on it too much.

For example - if you tell us exactly what will be going in the shed electrical loadwise, we can advise you as to what size of armoured cable to buy, even if you don't bury it just yet. How many circuits are there in your existing fuse box? What is the planned route for the cable etc etc etc.

In short, you will will still be able to get the job done regardless.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2004, 1:27pm

I'm in Derby (just off the ring road near the Showcase cinema) so if anyone wants to contact me and quote me for the parts of the job I don't want to do, I would certainly appreciate it.  I can PM my number to anyone interested.  

I will almost certainly need a new consumer unit in the house, given that the box I have appears to be made of brown bakelite (!) and isn't a 'consumer unit' as such, probably a 'fuse box', so I doubt if it would be suitable for fitting the required RCD protection needed for the shed.  But please don't spoil my Christmas by telling me I need a total re-wire of the house!  That was to be another question - do I need a total rewire just for a new consumer unit?

My original plans are to use the shed as a workshop, (for woodworking), but my girlfriend wants a TV/DVD etc in there because the inside is actually bigger than our living room!  Luckily the keys belong to me!

I have my eye on a rather nice table saw which is 2.2kw, plus maybe 2-3kw for heating, but I do want the flexibility to do whatever I like in there, so basically the more power I have the better.  Who knows if I will want to put a chest freezer or clothes dryer in there, so plenty of power please!

10mm or even 16mm SWA is fine by me, and I'm aware of the expense but would rather get it in at the start than dig up the trench in a year's time.

For lighting, at present I have 2 rooms, one with 3 light fitting spread evenly across the ceiling, and the other room has one fitting in the middle, so 4 in all.  I have a loft, and as the shed is an L-shape I probably want 2 lights up there.  I bought a couple of bulkheads the other day which would probably be suitable.  I also want some outdoor lighting - again, just a couple of bulkheads attached to the underside of the roof overhang so as to shine light downwards.

There's plenty of work there, though as I say it's the thought of digging a 60-foot long trench down the garden in winter which is putting the brakes on most of it.  A new house consumer unit (if needed) is probably the first job, which can be done 'as soon as', so if there is anyone in the area, let me know and we can take it from there.

Since finding this forum yesterday I've been reading a lot more of it, and it is certainly a great place for help and advice, so I'll definitely be here regularly.

Cheers

Nick

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2004, 1:37pm

Things I forgot to add in my previous post:

The route for the cable is fairly straightforward, pretty much one straight line down the garden.  As you're looking down the garden, the under-stairs cupboard with the meter in it is on the right-hand wall of the house, and the underground cable would need to come out of there, down the house wall, under the 'patio' (which is just loose-laid slabs so can be dug out to whatever depth is necessary), through the retaining wall (which is about 2 feet high), then underground along the garden (about 50 feet) and up into the shed, again on the right-hand side.

The consumer unit in the shed will probably need to be more than just a standard 2-way garage CU, just in case I need more circuits  - wall lights, maybe, or something which needs a dedicated circuit.  Again, that's just to make it future-proof.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2004, 3:47pm

If the cable is modern (less than 30 years old) PVC insulated & sheathed, and you have sufficient sockets in rooms, and no braided flex suspending pendant lights, then the chances are you don't need a rewire (dependant on insulation resistance etc).  You'll probably need your main bonding to water & gas incomers upgrading, supplementary bonding in the bathroom, and RCD protection on some circuits.
Main bonding is a good example of the things you can do yourself, or at least the cable runs, with most of the work being these cable runs.

You'll need a split-load consumer unit (decent brand - MK?) in the house.  Do you have TT (earth rod) earthing arrangement, or is the Main Earthing Terminal connected to the incoming service fuse?  Considering the size of your workshop, I'll also fit another split-load board in here, so your lighting does not fail when the RCD trips.  This board will be fed from the non-RCD side of the house's board, so if the house trips, the shed doesn't, and vice versa.  Your outdoor ligting could be on the RCD side - even though it's not a requirement of the regs, it improves safety if any metal fittings are used or there is a chance they could be touched.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2004, 4:27pm

From a purely accademic point of view, the installation will need and EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) and the persons signing it need to sign for 'Design', 'Installation' and 'Inspection and Testing'.

It would be a brave man that would sign all three sections where - YOU did the design and YOU did the installation.

Damn silly aint it? but then Part p is.

As TT says just get on with it and do it as in "Me Gov? I finished that job back in errr... April 2004".

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2004, 4:32pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1102118646/0#10 date=1102177643]As TT says just get on with it and do it as in "Me Gov? I finished that job back in errr... April 2004". [/quote]

And be sure to explain that all the receipts for the shed materials were post-dated a year later than that because you put the electrics in a whole 12 months before you erected the shed...... Smiley

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2004, 4:57pm

lol HM - we are dealing with Councillors and LABC here mate - dont forget - they are ummmm... errr.... stupid?

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2004, 5:23pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1102118646/0#10 date=1102177643]From a purely accademic point of view, the installation will need and EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) and the persons signing it need to sign for 'Design', 'Installation' and 'Inspection and Testing'.

It would be a brave man that would sign all three sections where - YOU did the design and YOU did the installation. [/quote]

I'm missing something here. Ain't that what the local council are supposed to do then? DIYer does the electrics, the council tax grabbers pay a visit, and the certificate is yours.

What's different about a regular spark issuing such a certificate then?

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2004, 5:31pm

Sparkyjonny, I'm certain the cable is okay because when I moved in (some years ago) I changed all the single sockets to double ones, and only a few days ago I had to replace a pendant fitting which had cracked.  All the cable appears to be the standard stuff you get in hardware centres.  So I'm relieved about that at least!

My electrical knowledge is limited to the circuits themselves, so bonding and earthing I have no idea about.  I do have a (now disconnected) shower cable which, instead of coming down through the ceiling into the bathroom (which is downstairs), goes out of the house, round the wall, and into the bathroom, which I'm now not particularly impressed with!  Plenty of things do need updating in the house, and I'm going to need new central heating shortly, so a general upgrade of everything is on the cards.  Don't ask why I spent a load of money on building a huge shed when the central heating is buggered!

Rabbit, it seems to get worse the more I hear about the new regs - 'Design', 'Installation' and 'Inspection a Testing' ALL have to be done by a qualified person?  But pehaps my get-out is the fact that I won't be designing the work which adds the CU, buried cable, etc.  Or does the certificate also spell out the full details of the entire installation, in which case I'm stuffed again!

Well there's nothing else for it, I'm going to have to dig the trench and get someone in quick!  Please tell me it's okay to bury the cable even if the bottom of the trench isn't completely dry - because it obviously won't be at this time of year!

I wouldn't have this problem if I was able to do the WHOLE job myself, but as with most 'competent DIY' people, I know my limitations, and I don't want anything to do with the main supply in the house.  I could let a spark do the whole job, but that's at least one or two more days labour onto the bill.

I'm going to ring an electrician up (unless someone on here local to Derby would like to contact me?) and see what he can do for me.

Just a thought: let's say this was an outbuilding which had been unused for some time and the electrics had been disconnected.  Would the work involved to connect it back up again also have to involve an inspection of the existing circuits?  You see what I'm saying - that was already there, guv, I just had the supply connected to it.  Which in effect is what is happening.

On another note, how much does it cost to get someone official in to inspect and pass my work as safe, which I presume is the alternative route to take?  Expensive?

(Digs deep in pockets)

Nick

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2004, 6:01pm

[quote author=Gisburne  link=1102118646/0#14 date=1102181489]

On another note, how much does it cost to get someone official in to inspect and pass my work as safe, which I presume is the alternative route to take?  Expensive?

(Digs deep in pockets)

Nick [/quote]

word on the street is about £200 + vat.  That's assuming they find nothing wrong otherwise it's a re-test after any corrective work has been done  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2004, 6:05pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1102118646/0#13 date=1102180995]

I'm missing something here. Ain't that what the local council are supposed to do then? DIYer does the electrics, the council tax grabbers pay a visit, and the certificate is yours.

What's different about a regular spark issuing such a certificate then?

HM
[/quote]

A self certifying spark does not need do anything other than sign a certificate - EIC in this case - if he is mad enough and post it to LABC within 30 days.

As I understand if you contact the local council they will send out a sparky who is on their list - probably the same one as above. Mad? yup.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2004, 6:23pm

Hello Nick

I quote you -

"Rabbit, it seems to get worse the more I hear about the new regs - 'Design', 'Installation' and 'Inspection a Testing' ALL have to be done by a qualified person?  But pehaps my get-out is the fact that I won't be designing the work which adds the CU, buried cable, etc.  Or does the certificate also spell out the full details of the entire installation, in which case I'm stuffed again!

Well there's nothing else for it, I'm going to have to dig the trench and get someone in quick!  Please tell me it's okay to bury the cable even if the bottom of the trench isn't completely dry - because it obviously won't be at this time of year!

I wouldn't have this problem if I was able to do the WHOLE job myself, but as with most 'competent DIY' people, I know my limitations, and I don't want anything to do with the main supply in the house.  I could let a spark do the whole job, but that's at least one or two more days labour onto the bill.

I'm going to ring an electrician up (unless someone on here local to Derby would like to contact me?) and see what he can do for me.

Just a thought: let's say this was an outbuilding which had been unused for some time and the electrics had been disconnected.  Would the work involved to connect it back up again also have to involve an inspection of the existing circuits?  You see what I'm saying - that was already there, guv, I just had the supply connected to it.  Which in effect is what is happening."

Yes its 'madness' but that is because the whole of Part p is in a state of 'flux' (plumber talk for - what a load of rubbish). Mind you with Pisscott heading it up did you expect anything else? It is EXACTLY the same as when Gorgi registration came into effect - turmoil.

Dont worry the fact that the ground is wet as ya dig the trench - just take care please and dont drown.

1. Have you worked out the maximum load in shed?

2. You know the length of cable between CU and shed I assume.

From 1 and 2 you can determine SWA cable csa needed (ask Plug - he is a gem on this sort of thing)

3. Make sure SWA cable is 750 mm (yes sorry 750m) deep in areas that caould be dug (borders etc.)

4. Make sure you have an RCD protecting the SWA cable circuit.

5. Make sure you put in a 'Garage/Shed unit' (CU) with main 30 mA RCD isolator in shed.

6. I always shove in a rod at the shed end - that's coz I am an old git and old habits die hard (and for £5 I would rather not die).

7. Connect up your lights and sockets.

8. Get in a sparky to test RCD at BOTH ends and get him to do a visual - buy him a pint or two.

And get it done before say March next year.

And most importantly enjoy doing the job, be diligent which I have NO doubt at all that you are - stuff the Part p bit.

Any problems get back here and ask I know some here live near you!

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2004, 7:00pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1102118646/15#17 date=1102184598]3. Make sure SWA cable is 750 mm (yes sorry 750m) deep in areas that caould be dug (borders etc.) [/quote]
Yep - you've got to spur off Australia, digging 750m deep.  Sorry mate!  lol!

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1102118646/15#17 date=1102184598]6. I always shove in a rod at the shed end - that's coz I am an old git and old habits die hard (and for £5 I would rather not die).
[/quote]
Only problem is checking resistance then - maybe not worth driving it in yourself for a spark to then come along and tell you it's useless.  Either get a spark to do it or don't bother with a rod.

Good luck!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2004, 7:54pm

lol Jonny - tell ya one thing; I have only ever once put an swa that deep its what the regs require!

As for rods - WHAT Jonny ya dont have a rod meter in ya kit bag? Never met one yet who has so ya not alone.

Errr when it comes to checking the rod resistance stand by with a bucket of water  Wink you throw it and I will take the reading OK.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2004, 8:01pm

Got the bucket of water ready! lol!  No - I was saying Gisburne won't have one, so maybe it's not such a good idea for HIM PERSONALLY to install one - leave it to a spark.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2004, 8:22pm

I know Jonny  Wink

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2004, 9:15pm

Ah yes, the 750mm deep trench - have I not suffered enough?! Digging the foundations of the shed: 28 holes, 450mm deep, filled with concrete which I mixed by hand in a barrow (no mixer for me!) because I am a real masochist (that's 80 barrows of concrete in case you were wondering).  So now I have to go down a foot deeper than that and allll the way down the garden, all 60 feet of it!  Nice clay soil too - really heavy and sticky and so easy to dig up obviously!!!  Cry

Stuff the mains supply, can anyone do me a good deal on submarine batteries and some good solar panels?
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:55pm by Gisburne »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2004, 9:40pm

lmao Gisburne ya GREAT!! Have ya not completed the project yet mate!

Well if ya using SWA shove it off to on side under the hedge mate. Failing that get Mrs Gisburne to bury it - tell her its your grave she's digging and watch how quickly she digs it!

Just don'tt hook the SWA up against a fence that is a no-no.

Look I am up in Chesterfield Monday and Tuesday on a course can ya get the whole of it done by then? I will come across check it and sign it off for ya!

DONT WORRY SO MUCH!

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gisburne

Big Shed Builder

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2004, 10:52pm

Not done yet, no - my creaky bones can only do 4 hours of work at a time and I've done this week's 4 hours already! Grin  Thinking about it, digging one long trench might be easier than digging those foundation holes - at least I can just chop more out of it and go in a straight line, whereas for the holes I was having to keep it all in an 18-inch square, making it difficult to lift out the muck at the bottom.

Nick's preferred method to get to the chopped-out clay at the bottom: bare hands filling a metal pudding basin, which was periodically emptied (couldn't tilt the spade at that depth).  The steak and kidney has never tasted the same since.

What do I do about going through (or under?) the 2-foot wall at the edge of the patio?  I have a nice 60cm long masonry drill that's just itching to get to work on something!  And do I have to dig to 750mm under the patio as well?  If it's under slabs it will never be dug up, so can it be a little shallower (still with warning tape above it though)?

Cheers

Nick
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:57pm by Gisburne »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2004, 11:19pm

Ray, slow up a minute, for starters the guy doesn’t have to have an electrical certificate at this time, come part-p everything changes, having the work done sooner the better, an installation certificate would require everything to be signed for and this just complicates matters.

He should look at doing what he feels he is 'competent' to do, and leave the rest to the spark to deal with, as long as he understands that all the Earthing would need to be correct, all bonding etc.

As I said, there’s no reason to complicate this any more than it has to be, if the work or some of it is to be done after January then a written contract of some description should be put in place encase of the unlikely.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 11:23pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2004, 11:28pm

[quote author=sparkyjonny  link=1102118646/15#20 date=1102190464]Got the bucket of water ready! lol!  No - I was saying Gisburne won't have one, so maybe it's not such a good idea for HIM PERSONALLY to install one - leave it to a spark. [/quote]

He shouldnt bother with a damn rod, it will be useless if not installed correctly and tested, I don't know where Ray is located but around here this is not normal.

And as this guy wants to get work done himself, and then have the spark come along and test/check it, he doesnt need and more greif!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #27 - Dec 5th, 2004, 9:19am

Is there no way you could 'mole' this cable down the garden, I've had this work done in the past and it's way cheaper than digging long trenches (and no making good after).  All you need is a 3 foot long trench at each end for the mole to start and finish.  It would punch through  most walls but if your wall is megga then you may have to aim under the footing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2004, 12:19pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1102118646/15#27 date=1102238392]Is there no way you could 'mole' this cable down the garden [/quote]

This sounds interesting. I've never heard of a mole before, but by the sounds of it they are available?

Presumably they must be a bit like the channel tunnel borer but on a small scale. And even more presumably you can't buy them at B&Q.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2004, 12:41pm

Well......I've never seen one in B&Q but you never know  Grin Grin

See this link:

http://www.hammerheadmole.com/methods/horizontal_boring_method.htm

btw, the mole 'punches' its way through the ground rather than drilling so there is no waste soil created, just a lovely hardwalled hole through the ground.

They're used a lot for sending cables under roads, saves digging up the road.  I've heard of them being used to send cables under bowling greens and tennis courts for floodlighting, saves tracking all the way round the perimiter etc etc.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2004, 12:44pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #30 - Dec 5th, 2004, 1:33pm

RR,

Are you off to Technique in Chesterfield?  What course are you going for?

Jon.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #31 - Dec 8th, 2004, 7:33pm

Sorry chaps been away and trying to catch up.

Jonny - not exactly a 'course' and not at Technique. I am being assessed to become a local area assessor. And I think, only think, I have passed - twas quite intensive but 'refreshing'. Met up with some REALLY nice sparks from around the UK and had some 'fun' evenings etc.

Regarding rods: Err aint there some reference (BS 7671) to "Thou shalt NOT rely on RCD's....."?. As I said I am of the old school - like I earth knock out boxes but note the new Brown books says ya dont have to any more - I shall of cousre continue to do so.

rr

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #32 - Dec 8th, 2004, 10:34pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1102118646/30#31 date=1102534428]
Regarding rods: Err aint there some reference (BS 7671) to "Thou shalt NOT rely on RCD's....."?. As I said I am of the old school - like I earth knock out boxes but note the new Brown books says ya dont have to any more - I shall of cousre continue to do so.

[/quote]
afaict the reference is to relying on them for protection against direct contact.

on almost any TT system you will be relying on a rcd for protection against indirect content

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print