Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:09pm
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
House rewire - lights (Read 1555 times)
John   Davies
GDPR opt-out

House rewire - lights
Dec 17th, 2004, 1:21am

My house rewire continues....

I am using old fashioned 1.5 T & E for the lights - red and black.

1.  Do the old colours meet regs?  I assume so, but Iwould hate to be wasting my time.....

2. When running cable to light switches,  is is still sufficent to put a twist of red tape on the black cable to denote a live feed to the light? Should I use markers?  Should I go and buy the proper cable......and what ruddy colour is it now anyway?

Thanks

John Davies

tape

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: House rewire - lights
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2004, 1:44am

old colours are still allowed until april 2006

technically you aren't supposed to mix colours in a job BUT you are allowed to add wiring in one set of colours to existing wiring in the other and someone inspecting in future would have ni idea if it was installed at the same time or not

sleeving is preffered to tape as tape has a tenency to loose stickyness with age and come off whereas sleeving can't come off as long as the wire remains in the terminal

red-red (with old colours) and brown-brown (with new colours) T&E does exist but tends to be more expensive and is rarely used.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print