Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:38pm
Quote: 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm.....

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chewed up drain off cock (Read 3216 times)
Slug
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Chewed up drain off cock
Dec 20th, 2004, 9:02pm

Howdy doody Peeps.

I have just replaced a radiator and found the drain off cock to empty the system is under the floorboards , through and poking out of the outside wall over the downstairs' flats' kitchen roof.

The d.o.c has been 'sealed' into the wall with tarmac type stuff and looks hugely permanent. Opening it was no problem but when tightened to close, drips. Presumably the seals inside have rotted.

The only way to reach the blooming thing to open/close it was to hang upside down from a window Tongue, which, to cut a long story short, has resulted in my chewing up the spindle end trying to close the bloody thing. So now theres nothing tangeible to grip.

Is there some magic tool or even more magical technique for getting these buggers out. If I can remove just the inners to replace with new but the original stuck one appears to have no outer ring to remove the inners,  the inners going straight into a sleeve.

I think I know what the answers going to be, but I have been known to miss the bloody obvious  Grin

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Re: Chewed up drain off cock
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2004, 11:44pm

Hi. Grin Snap on make some pliers called "channel lock".  They are brilliant for gripping anything thats rounded off as long as you have about 5mm left protruding.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

poolcorgi
Trade Member

dohhh

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2004, 12:52am

6"" stilsons if there is anything to grip  Grin

is corgi registered ? if so who with ?
Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:34am

Thanks Chaddy, sadly I doubt theres even 5mm left. Oooer. Poolcorgi, think i'll have to resort to the Semtex method rather than the Stilsons  Grin.
Got a call from the lady this morning saying that she needs to top up the system a couple of times a day, which is no problem but also that overnight the system falls to about three quarters bar, so the heating is starting at about this level. Knowing me, it probably will be, but, is this going to be a massive problem to the pump. I am due to totter off for Crimbo today and sort it when i'm back on the 28th, but is this being a moronic  knobhead or ought it be ok.

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2004, 7:34am

[quote author=Slug  link=1103576566/0#3 date=1103711682]but is this being a moronic  knobhead or ought it be ok. [/quote]

Weeeelll......

Might be worth popping along, shaking your head, stroking your chin, sucking your teeth and saying "that'll cost yer missus!" Smiley

Seriously, worth taking a look - it might be something real simple and you'll be a hero just before Xmas. Or it could be something more involved and you won't be able to fit it in. I don't think the customer can really complain.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2004, 8:44am

Hi Slug.
Don't know if this is feasible, but can you freeze the pipe or drain down the system, and then change the drain cock? Possibly siting it inside?
Hanging out of the window doesn't strike me as very safe or desirable!!!
I don't know about you but i get a nose bleed up a step ladder!!! Grin Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print