Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:05pm
Quote: I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boiler Overheating (Read 7756 times)
Jerry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Boiler Overheating
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:11pm

My 19 year old boiler had been getting very noisy over the last couple of years.  This year it seemed to have eventually given up the ghost when the overheat stat stated to pop out regularly and I could only run the boiler on a very low thermostat setting.  So I bit the bullet and had a new Worcester Bosch Grenstar 24Ri condensing boiler fitted by a Worcester approved installer.

The new boiler doesn't appear to be working properly (or perhaps it's something else).  It runs for a couple of minutes then goes to lock-out (I think - flashing blue indicator light) for about three minutes and then goes through the whole sequence again.  Nothing is getting very hot (water & heating) apart from the flow pipe from the boiler during the time the boiler is apparenetly firing.

In an effort to try and solve the problem myself during Christmas, I've installed a new 6M head (WILO Gold 60) pump, though I didn't think there was anything wrong with the WILO GOLD 50 I replaced.  However, it's made no difference.  I'll be getting the installer back in the new year, but in the meantime, any ideas anybody?

If it's of any help, I have an S-Plan system with 3 zones (hot water, upstairs heating and downstairs heating) and 11 rad's.  During the 19 years since I originally installed the whole heating system, the house has been extended with additional rad's fitted on each occasion and the boiler has been relocated once.  However, after all of that, the old one still worked until relatively recently.

Jerry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Boiler Overheating
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2004, 1:05am

can you  verify the model number please as I don't know of the 24 Ri

You can have the 24 CDi combi or a 25 HE combi condensing boiler.

Are there any codes showing.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Jerry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2004, 8:47am

Scruff

Thanks for quick reply and a merry christmas to you.  The manuals just say Worcester 24 Ri.  However, it's not a combi - house and family too big for that.

By the way all the rad's have thermostats and I've tried the system with all thermostatic valve's fully open and with one, two and three zones switched on, but always the same problem.

Happy new year.

Jerry
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2004, 8:48am by Jerry »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2004, 11:16am

What does it say on the boiler

The greenstar system boiler is the 28HE.

scruff

IP Logged

bripl
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2004, 11:25am

scruff i do believe it is a new model never seen one ,but i think it replaces the cbi range jerry contact worc they do callouts and will be happy to help you

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2004, 11:52am

[quote author=bripl  link=1104099075/0#4 date=1104146704]scruff i do believe it is a new model never seen one ,but i think it replaces the cbi range jerry contact worc they do callouts and will be happy to help you [/quote]

our right m8 have added some info but not all found to my cd.

Hell the dams things less than a month old (the cd ) that is.

The light flashes at different speeds which indicated the fault, so count how many flashes a min, they will ask for that info.

Greenstar 24Ri
It's often said that you can't please everybody all of the time - but the advanced new series of Greenstar Ri condensing boilers from Worcester Bosch has so much to offer that it's already disproving such a notion.

Here is a groundbreaking range of energy-saving boilers which is very good news for the environment and excellent news for specifiers, developers, installers and consumers alike

scruff
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2004, 11:53am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2004, 12:32pm

FYI - If it's similar to the CBI check if your pumps running, I had one just before Xmas where the PCB pump circuit was faulty - plugged the pump into a socket and it kept them running till the WB man had been to change the PCB.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jerry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 9:58pm

Everyone

Thanks for all the advice.  Just got back from a week at Centre Parks where I could forget about the problem, but now back to face it.  The pump is working but my intuition is that ther's some sort of circulation restriction somewhere.  Anyway, the Worcester approved installer is coming round to check in a couple of days, so hopefully we'll find the answer.

Jerry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:12pm

How did you check the pump circulation ? The system I had a problem with, pump appeared to be running but was a bit noisy, the plumber also thought it was a circulation problem (possible blocked pipe) cause the upstairs rads were hot and downstairs cold, he decided to change the pump for a brand new one just before he was going to dig up the downstairs screed !! when it sounded just as noisy he called me, when I moved the pump live to a perm live in the wiring centre the system worked perfectly - called the WB man who changed the PCB and everything is happy.

Best of luck

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print