Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 12:45pm
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fitting a toilet (Read 9972 times)
Dave.B

Why do people keep looking
at me funny?

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Fitting a toilet
Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:19pm

Hi good people, this is my first post here although I've been lurking for a while.

I'm in the process of stripping and refitting my en-suite. I fitted a completely new shower enclosure with no problems before christmas, but sometime over the next two weeks I plan on taking out the toilet and replacing it.

Is this easy to do? I'm willing to give most things a go, but I really don't want to get anything wrong when it comes to the toilet, for obvious reasons.
I've been told that the pan is just a push fit on the waste pipe - is this correct? I'm confident about fitting the cistern myself, but the pan worries me a bit.
Any advice?

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Fitting a toilet
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:43pm

Depends on what you have but yes most are a simply push fit connector, which it may pay you to replace with the new Wc suite as the rubber gets old and worn.

New pan may have a different outlet center so measure your old one from the ground and try to match as close as possible.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:54pm

Great, thanks Scruff. I'm getting more and more confidence to do this myself now.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 2:56pm

no probs m8.

you can always post a pic for more info.

scruff

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 4:33pm

If it helps any I did my very first toilet replacement a few months back. It was for someone else and to be honest I didn't look forward to it at all. As usual the worry about doing the job far exceeded the actual time it took.

Silly really. When I did the job it turned out to be very straightforward. That pushfit rubber collar is straightforward, though I think it's possibly wise to make sure you've got some of that grease stuff to add slippage (forget the name - I've got a tub in my garage which I take out on plumbing jobs).

On that particular job I remember the screws holding the pan to the floor were well rusted, beyond what a screwdriver could deal with. Quick centre-pop of the screw head, drill the screwheads off and that bit was done without big problems. Mole grips then took care of the screw shafts once the toilet was out of the way.

Make sure you've got some decent marigolds though, and plenty of throwawy j-cloths or similar. It's possible there will be a bit of crap down there which will need cleaning off to ensure you get a good fit when it goes back together.

And as scruff says, a replacement rubber collar is the order of the day. They aren't costly. They come in various fittings from straight connectors to flexi-connectors to bent couplings.

One last thing. Once you've fitted it you need to test it. I had visions of it leaking around the rubber collar joint, so I didn't want to dump a whole cistern of water in to have it pouring over the floor. Get a bucket and tip water in gradually until you are sure there's no leak to worry about.

Finally, if it's the only loo in the house make damn sure you tell everyone they've got to make other arrangements whilst you are busy in the bathroom. Best to do this job when the local tescos store is open or something - that way anyone caught short can take care of it without getting in your way. I wouldn't start this job outside of regular opening hours just in case.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dave.B

at me funny?

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 8:04pm

Thanks very much HandyMac and Scruff - the advice is much appreciated. I've made my mind up to do it myself now, wish me luck!

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 8:13pm

Could somebody please explain why the two replies i made on this thread have been removed?(Aswell as one from HM.)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 9:34pm

Still no answer yet! Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 9:45pm

[quote author=trowelhead  link=1104675566/0#6 date=1104696830]Could somebody please explain why the two replies i made on this thread have been removed?(Aswell as one from HM.) [/quote]

Never spied your post Th so don't know, you sure you got the right thread.

scruff

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:11pm

positive mate.
1st post was to welcome HM back,reply from HM saying he hadnt gone anywhere and my last post was saying i must have mis-read a post on the tt site from ss,hey presto all posts gone! ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:26pm

[quote author=trowelhead  link=1104675566/0#9 date=1104703918]positive mate.
1st post was to welcome HM back,reply from HM saying he hadnt gone anywhere and my last post was saying i must have mis-read a post on the tt site from ss,hey presto all posts gone! ??? [/quote]

Nothing showing as being deleted or removed, so dont know.

Posts have got lost for no reason in the past so your guess.

I will say mods don't edit or remove unless its really neccessary.

scruff

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:58pm

Fair enough,but strange 2 peoples posts 'go missing' on the same thread, within minutes of being posted AND seen and nobody knows why?  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:07pm

Well strange, but as I said I been here all day and never noticed your post.

Only other mods for this section is BTK and plumber and they've not been on all day.  ???

Unless i fell asleep that is Embarrassed

scruff

IP Logged

trowelhead
Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:32pm

WAKE UP THEN! Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:32am

OK !!!!!  Undecided Undecided

scruff

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:59am

If a moderator removes content from a topic it will show with the words  This topic/post has been moved to Removed content by 'moderators name'

My guess is that the system went a bit doolally for a few minutes or whatever, sometimes due to maintenance or other reasons, its happened before.

Feel free to re-post the original content as nobody has removed anything, its just got lost.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Billy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 2:09pm

Can I just chip in here?

I saw the post which is being queried, and I replied to it. Now neither of those two responses are there.

Frankly it doesn't bother me, but just to acknowledge that (a) I didn't have anything to do with the deletion, if that's what actually happened and (b) it's possible that it wasn't a deliberate act on anyones part, but a screw-up in the forum software or something. This forum software was probably written by the same people who did the tax credit system..... Smiley

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print