Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:33pm
Quote: You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which shower? (Read 2055 times)
bruciebonus
GDPR opt-out

Which shower?
Jan 4th, 2005, 3:19pm

I'm looking to install another shower in my house (mains pressure hot water). In the past   I've installed Mira Excels, Grohe or Hansgrohe thermostatic mixers with a view to having something branded in case of resale.
I've become increasingly sceptical about the pricing on these units - no doubt the mixer valves are of high quality  but the rest of the units, sliders and fascia seem like nothing more than chromed plastic tat.

With that in mind I took a risk on a Bristan Sorrento  and installed it into my own shower room. The slide rail and head had to go (they broke). The fascia and controls seemed more robust than usual however the valve is getting to be more hassle than it is worth. After moving the temperature anything other than the slightest adjustment the mixer wont go back to the desired temperaturewithout a lot of d***ing around.
Is this normal for the Bristan (is the 5 year guarantee worth having if I'm having to break into a wall to return the unit for bench testing).

What do your contributors think about the quality and pricing of the supposedly superior units? Are there any others on the market better for reliability etc?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Which shower?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2005, 4:02pm

Briston are as good as they get ( debatable) but need to be flushed, filters cleaned and set-up properly.

the Company will honour their warrantee if fitted as per the instructions.

hard water areas require any valve to be serviced regularly.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

bstyle
Re: Which shower?
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2005, 7:38pm

I've been fitting the Trevi therm for about 10 years, never had a call back.

Excellent company to deal with.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print