Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:07am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Macerators (Read 12519 times)
bruciebonus
GDPR opt-out

Macerators
Jan 6th, 2005, 3:17pm

I'm installing a shower-room in my basement and a macerator seems like the only option to provide a waste outlet.

The shower and wash-hand basin will be about 2 and 1 metres respectively from the w.c. which has 2 metres vertical and 4 metres horizontal  travel to my soil stack.

Saniflo seem to have the marketing budget to dominate this area, but are there any other makes which are tried and tested. Also, if Saniflo is the preferred option, which model is suitable and any top tips for installation and where to get them without paying over the odds etc.

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Macerators
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005, 3:47pm

here are some links to help you BB

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/23-0000?eid=0001-0068
http://www.bathroomtechnology.co.uk/saniflo.asp
http://www.showerright.co.uk/grundfos_macerators.htm
http://heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Macerators_and_Sewage_Treatment.html

most of these will have links in them for specs

Specs for sanisplit and saniflo
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/sanisplitspec.cfm
http://heatandplumb.com/acatalog/info_3384.html

Personally I have only ever been in contant with saniflo so cant really compare between brands.

Hope these help you

ßilly
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2005, 3:48pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005, 4:08pm

This should help you find the right one for your job (excuse pun)

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/San_housemap.asp

Same as BTK, I've only ever used saniflo stuff, don't fancy going back to sort out a cheap one when it busts!!

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2005, 4:34pm

yeah when your cutting through a 22mm plastic pipe thats solid with, well you know what goes in them, to clear it out you soon get to appreciate running drains all round the building!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2005, 5:18pm

I thought that was the job for the apprentice?

Wot? No apprentice? Take one on for the day, then find he isn't suitable..... Wink

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bruciebonus
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2005, 10:34pm

Okay, that's enough jobbie jokes!

Thanks for your views guys, you rightly suggest it's not the piece of equipment to be taking chances on and paying for someone elses research & development.

But, what's the noise level like if it's enclosed in a built in unit and also how does it handle the shower waste - are you left ankle deep before it clears itself.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2005, 11:54pm

I've fitted a few of these but not had to do one for maybe 5 or 6 years so this info may be out of date.  However, from memory the Saniflo has to be set lower than the shower waste so that gravity clears the shower.  The Saniflo has a float which activates the macerator and pump which quickly clears the waste.

Inside the shower the waste water would just run away as normal with the Saniflow kicking in and out as it fills and empties.

These things are (or were) noisy!  I know one person who has one and they can't use that particular loo at night because their neighbours can hear it!

We also had one that was problematic.  Saniflo sent a rep round pretty quickly, he fiddled with it (what a crap job  Roll Eyes) but a week or so later it was playing up again so they replaced it and installed it themselves for no charge.  I was quite impressed with their service.  It was just a faulty unit.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2005, 10:41am

As JerryD says the bottom of the tray has to be a certain height above the bottom of the unit (120mm springs to mind)

There are only a couple of units that can handle a shower, same for being built into units with a BTW pan, so your choice will be quite limited.

Noise is about the same as a shower pump but they run in short bursts as the float switch kicks in.

Remember to leave plenty of rodding eyes/access caps and use bent pipe if using copper or two 45 degree bends not elbows to avoide restrictions. All the ones I have fitted have used 32mm waste rather than 22mm.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2005, 10:46am

Just dont put any maxi pads down the loo!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2005, 3:28pm

[quote author=bstyle  link=1105024629/0#8 date=1105094793]Just dont put any maxi pads down the loo! [/quote]
Oh hell no!!!

In fact thats good advice for any installation, macerator or not!  In fact if I am called to clear a toilet/drain and its a drip rag blockage, the bill goes up by £50, same with bloodey toilet duck, hang over the bowl things.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2005, 3:29pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2005, 3:37pm

I hate that blue sh1te they put in the cistern , dont see it too much nowadays.

The stuff is an absolute nightmare, especially when you've gotta change the syphon. I remember the last one I did I ended up sucking all the water out with an aqua vac.

Oh by the way JasonB's spot on with all of his comments.

I put a saniflo in b4 christmas, first time for years and I was shocked at how noisy it was. If there is any chance at all to connect into the drain via 110mm pipe...do it!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2005, 11:52pm

A good way to cut down the noise of a macerator on floorboards is to have some carpet underlay (or other insulation) underneath it. It mutes the vibrations.

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2005, 1:17am

An even better way is to dispense with the machine altogether and just cut an oval hole in the floorboards and sh*t thru' that instead!

Oops - 'TT's ben to too many 3rd world hotels!'

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print