Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 9:59am
Quote: I intend to live forever........So far, so good...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
C+G 2391 (Read 7510 times)
spence_spark
GDPR opt-out

C+G 2391
Jan 14th, 2005, 9:26am

I have enroled on the above course but does'nt run until may 9th this year   anyone have any papers  or links to sites with any papers to allow me to 'swot-up' in advance?

many thanks

spence Kiss

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: C+G 2391
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2005, 10:57am

Get Brian Scadden's book - - step-by-step explanations written in plain english, and there are a few practise papers in the back too.

About £9 and worth every penny.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2005, 11:36am

[quote author=spence_spark  link=1105694765/0#0 date=1105694765]I have enroled on the above course but does'nt run until may 9th this year   anyone have any papers  or links to sites with any papers to allow me to 'swot-up' in advance?

many thanks

spence Kiss [/quote]

Yep, ditto what Trician, this is one good book that you can get, the ISBN for the book he quoted is 0750665416

But I would further this by saying you NEED IEE Guidance note 3, this is a must for 2391, ISBN is 0852969910

Also good reading is the NICEIC Testing & Inspection guidance booklet, but this can be hard to attain if your not registered  Roll Eyes

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 11:37am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

spence_spark
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2005, 1:40pm

many thanks guys  I'll source the book and have a read
thanks for the link to the practice questions aswell
had a 'high-speed' glance through them
definately taxed the brain...think i may need to undertake a refresher before i start Embarrassed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2005, 2:17pm

Just make sure you don't take their 4-day course and your be fine.

Best of luck  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:18pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

spence_spark
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2005, 2:26pm

thanks l.spark
no its a 1 day course but split over 2 mondays? (if that makes sense)
I'm  needing to be able to sign off my own work so its essential i pass  hence why i'm wanting to 'swot up' now
in advance

many thanks for all your replies and help
oh well off to the desk and  'refresh'

cheers all
spence Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2005, 2:36pm

No problem Spence, It's just the pass rate for doing the course over a short period is less, unless you're actively doing testing regularly and are well informed you may find it too intensive.

They make assumptions you are already doing testing in 2391, and therefore all they will do is teach you the course element.

Best of luck in whatever you choose though.

IP Logged

JD

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2005, 12:16am

I can vouch for that L.Spark. I did the 2391 over 4 days.
It was just information overload. I failed the first time around and so did my mate and he does all the testing at company he works for.
spence_spark, I will mail you a file which contains revision material. I found it whilst surfin' the net.You might find it useful. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2005, 12:25am

Thanks for that JD

I don't like seeing any one fail, we had this discussion just last week about how you get hit 9-5 on these courses and it's just information overload and too much to take in, and then the exam very shortly after it all

Gives you next to no time to do your own research and get on top of it, for this reason I can't recommend it as a short 2/3/4 day course

IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2005, 5:09am

I passed the 2391 but now I am told I need to update my qualifications, probably all of them. Its all going to be update courses every so many years fellers, I wont go on about Part P either.

But good luck to all you sparkies taking exams now and in the future, just remember one thing, Buy a calculator you can program calculations into to save time during exam. I saw a tutors son do an exam with one he finished his exam in no time at all.

Just answer the questions you can first then go back and try the ones your not sure of after. You can take on site guide and regs book into exam, so you do have a lifeline. When swotting try to remember where certain regs are, get to know the regs book inside out and you will be ok.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

start saving your pennies for the update courses

regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spence_spark
Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2005, 10:21am

thanks JD   any extra info for revision the better
I've ordered the books advised earlier   should get them tomorrow apparently..heres hoping
im taking the 2day course as thats the only one offered up her in cumbria that i can find
and with the part poo  etc   I'm kind of hands tied
i totally disagree with it but at the same time must have it really to keep trading..F*****g  ODPM Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2005, 10:37am

lol Big T

Quote:
I passed the 2391 but now I am told I need to update my qualifications, probably all of them

Why do you need to re-do them, you must have the older 2390 course

Quote:
Buy a calculator you can program calculations into to save time during exam

Programmable calculators are not allowed in exams

Quote:
You can take on site guide and regs book into exam

Now into 2391, it's a 2-part closed book hand written exam paper
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005, 10:37am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2005, 11:47am

When I took the 2391 course it cost me £ 450.00 + exam fee. I had a practical exam and had to find faults on different situations and fill out a test form. I also had a written exam and it happened like I said, the tutors son had a calculator

If they cant have calculators in exams they will be dropping the Part P then, as the youngsters cant add up unless they have one. No offence ment to anyone but through experience I find most youngsters cant add up without one, why do you think banks etc shut when computers go down, like I say they cant add up.

A certain organization say that qualifications need to be no more than 3 years old, I paid and I passed, if I am a cowboy Im a bloomin good one. Now this is to the City & guilds if your watching, Keep an eye on the exam papers. They will be going abroard so the cheap labour know all the answers so they can get jobs over here.

Before anyone says Im against forigners Im not, I believe that work should be done by the country men of that country. If you cant do the work then us non-competant chaps will show you, either cheap without a certificate or at Part P prices, thats a joke fellers nothing more than that.

Catch you all later  >>  T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2005, 12:06pm

[quote author=BigT  link=1105694765/0#13 date=1105962473] I also had a written exam and it happened like I said, the tutors son had a calculator [/quote]
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant a programmable, most are not programmable, a scientific calculator is all that's needed for an exam, anything else would be cheating

Quote:
If they cant have calculators in exams they will be dropping the Part P then, as the youngsters cant add up unless they have one.

Yes, but that comes with using more and more calculators, if you use a calculator for everything then you get used to using one and can't do without one unless you were taught without one

Quote:
A certain organization say that qualifications need to be no more than 3 years old

That's tight!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005, 12:06pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print