Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 12:34am
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another downlighter question (Read 1976 times)
spongebob
GDPR opt-out

Another downlighter question
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:53pm

I've been asked to install five 50W x 12v downlighters with individual transformers. There's a junction box in the lighting circuit nearby and it would be my intention to run from this in 1.5mm cable through additional JB's to the transformers. A couple of questions. The lights/ transformers aren't pre-wired. Bearing in mind a max length of 500mm what size cable/flex should be used to wire lamp to transformer?
The existing CU is of the re-wireable fuse type. As it's a bungalow the whole lighting circuit is protected by a single 5amp fuse. As far as I can tell, the total wattage of the bulbs served by this circuit is 1330W. This includes five existing 12v x 50W downlighters with individual transformers serving another room. Is this circuit up to the addition of five new downlighters or not. What options are there if not? Would simply upgrading the existing re-wireable fuse be acceptable?
Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers ???

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Another downlighter question
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2005, 12:55am

[quote author=spongebob  link=1106178796/0#0 date=1106178796] The lights/ transformers aren't pre-wired. Bearing in mind a max length of 500mm what size cable/flex should be used to wire lamp to transformer? [/quote]
The question is how you plan to run the cables to the transformers

Are you wiring one or more than one?

You could wire into the junction box and T off into the transformer, the cable from each transformer to light could be .5mm, or .75mm

.75mm would be the best option

Quote:
The existing CU is of the re-wireable fuse type. As it's a bungalow the whole lighting circuit is protected by a single 5amp fuse. As far as I can tell, the total wattage of the bulbs served by this circuit is 1330W

At the moment then your total load is about 5.78A

Quote:
Is this circuit up to the addition of five new downlighters or not

You can probably get away with another 5 downlighters, you can't upgrade the fuse to anymore than 6A unless your entire circuit is all wired in 1.5mm, then you could upgrade to say 10A

One thing you should check is that all the Earthing is in place, e.g. main Earthing to gas and water, also supplementary bonding is in place.

Quote:
What options are there if not? Would simply upgrading the existing re-wireable fuse be acceptable

Well re-wireable fuses only come in set values such as 5A, 15A, 30A etc

You cannot go over 5A for a lighting circuit unless you upgrade to MCB's
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2005, 1:00am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2005, 11:10pm

L.Spark. Thanks for the reply.
It would appear that it's going to be borderline with existing set up. I suppose the possibility that not all of the lights will be on at the same time would provide a bit of leeway. With the plans she has for the property I have suggested to her that she should have her electrics sorted out first but I may as well talk to myself. When she first moved in I told her that her CH boiler needed sorting. Did she listen? No! Guess what packed up two days into the New Year. If she wasn't family I'd shoot her.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005, 12:05am

no problem Spongebob, just don't forget to consider part-p

read the part-p thread at top of the electrical section to find out what the implications are

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print