Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 11:02am
Quote: Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-placed business men decide to do it -Andrew Young

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cooker wiring 6mm or 10mm (Read 15396 times)
braychurchmouse
GDPR opt-out

Cooker wiring 6mm or 10mm
Jan 25th, 2005, 4:13pm

Hi folks this is my first ever post to the forum, which looks to be very useful indeed...thanks in advance to any responders...

I am putting in a new kitchen and am getting conflicting advice on size of cable needed for the cooker circuit...6mm or 10mm ???

The existing wiring looks like 6mm or similar circa 1958 I guess when the house was built. (actually its maybe thicker but definitely not 10mm).

As I am retiling and putting in a new cooker and cooker switch I have the opportunity to replace all the wiring.

The oven is a basic built under fan oven, nothing fancy, rated 2.5KW (= 10 amps?)

The hob will be a ceramic hob rated 5.8 KW max (= 24 amps?)

The first 2 meters of the cable will be buried in the wall, going via a cooker switch of course and then there is a 17 meter run to the main board, which will be in the ceiling under floor boards. (but very easy to replace as its a bungalow so effectively the wiring is in the loft). The main board currently has a 35 amp MCB in the "cooker" position, but presumably could be changed if necessary.

My "tlc-direct" catalog says 6mm is rated at 40 amps so that should be ok except maybe a voltage drop oon the 17 meter run?.

My local lectrical retailer says "we always use 6mm for cookers unless its a big range jobby"

And then there is the diversity rule which I understand says that with cookers I only need 10Amps but 30% of the balance...so that would mean I need to cater for 10A plus 30% of 24 amps which is 17.2 Amps so I am well within the 6mm capability.

Yet I have this feeling nagging away that to be on the safe side I had better put in 10mm wiring.

As this is a small bungalow I don't think we will ever put in one of those massive cookers so I think I need only cater for the current (haha) set up.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Although I have no formal qualifications i am pretty experienced at domestic wiring, but as you can see I have niggling doubts occasionally!!! Rest assured that when I have finished I will call in an electrician to check everything over.

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Cooker wiring 6mm or 10mm
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2005, 5:42pm

if the wiring is 1958 ill be veary worrid and the size will be the least of my concerns.

1958 will 100% deffo be VIR (black sheathed and probrably going brittle now....)

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2005, 6:15pm

Re 1958 ish wiring...it's actually grey sheath and feels ok, but its coming out anyway! I guess it might be newer that the original build stuff. I just need to know whether its best to replace with 10mm or whether that's overkill and 6 mm would be ok. Cheers.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2005, 6:21pm

I wouldn't worry about voltage drop on that run.

6mm would be ok, 10mm would be ideal.

35amp??  Think you may mean 32 ???  Never seen a 35 Wink

Try going for 10mm on a 40amp breaker if your wallet will stand the extra.......couple of quid  Wink  Grin  Wink  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2005, 6:21pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2005, 6:23pm

You're doing th right thing in planning it all out properly, as this is what the local building control body will need to see with the plans on your preliminary notification.

What district are you in? and I'll send you a link to more specific information for your local council.

On the subject of load, will your Isolator by the cooker have a 13A socket incorporated in it?. You'll need to do some extra working out if so.

Generally I'd say you've a golden opportunity to upgrade the safety of the installation while the decorating is being done. However if the building control costs look prohibitive you may decide to just run some large oval conduit to a blanked off back-box to allow the upgrade to be done at a later date by a 'Self Certifying' electrician. Without the need for disturbance to the new decor.

If you adopt the latter approach I'd recommend a full periodic inspection of the property as the existing wiring sounds like it may be getting on a bit.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2005, 6:27pm

wylex do a 35A hrc carrier
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYC35.html

never heared of 35A mcbs although they may have existed at some point.

as for the original question 6mm will be just fine for the equipment you plan to fit now 10mm will give you far more leeway for any future changes.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2005, 6:48pm

Thanks to all responders for the replies. Beanzy..we are Windsor and Maidenhead.
And re the rest of the wiring, most seems to have been replaced in a piecemeal fashion. It was checked by a qualified electrician who installed new consumer unit and some wiring in 2003. But I plan to do same again after this latest work.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2005, 11:35pm

Quote:
never heared of 35A mcbs although they may have existed at some point

Doubt it  Wink

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2005, 2:29am

[quote author=braychurchmouse  link=1106669586/0#0 date=1106669586]

I have the opportunity to replace all the wiring.

[/quote]

You don't need to inform the BC to replace wiring for a single circuit. It will cost you at least £60 if the BC is informed.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2005, 8:12pm

ha!, i told a guy in B&Q thee other day it should always be 10mm. Ahh well, i suppose since i didnt see what was in before and what he was wiring from/to it wasnt that bad.

Thats what he gets for asking the guy holding pipes/wastes! Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:45pm

Would'nt take the advice from B&Q staff, but spose it depends on your position  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2005, 6:00am

Anoteher example of how part P will not help safety as intended. If the cable is left at 6mm and the breaker rating & type at the consumer unit is not changed it's outside the scope, as a like for like replacement. However if a larger T&E is installed or you switched from a fuse to a retro-fit MCB then it'll have to be notified..... nuts isn't it?

A good place to start if you do up-rate the cable would be with http://www.labc-services.co.uk/default.asp which links through to varioous authorities around the country. and has some very useful on-line notification & submission info if you need it.

Your local Building Control Body website is at http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/planning/buildingcontrol/index.htm

Like Stoday says you won't have to notify if it's like for like replacement. If you do upgrade or do stuff like add sockets, chnge lighting circuits or install different fittings then the charges seem to be  £70.50, £117.50 or £193.88 (depending on the size of job) plus you'll need an installation cert..... which kind of makes the decision about the 6mm cable for you really.

The charges are outlined in http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/public/040511_bc_Scheme-of-charges_93.pdf

This has to be the most bizarre and cumbersome regulation yet.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2005, 6:01am by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2005, 2:04pm

Thanks beanzy, I appreciate your thorough reply, it certainly gives me a far better understanding of the new regulations than I have been able to get from a call to the council.

So i have decided actually to put 10mm in, to "future protect". And as safety is the prime concern I always believe over-provision is best and the extra will cost me only a few pounds more. Also as the isolator switch has a 13 amp socket anyway I think I needed to rework the calcs, even though it is only for a low power extractor hood 200watts i guess regs say i should allow full 13amps, in case someone sometime plugs in a kettle!

Now I was wondering    Wink   as I lay in the bath, taking a hypothetical situation concerning a similar situation that a "friend" is in....supposing if in 5 year's time the secret police discovered that I (oops i mean the "friend") had done this wiring and hadn't got approval....if the "friend" said that the work was done in 2004 not 2005, would that keep him out of prison?

That is assuming the house hasn't burnt down already because of "amateur" wiring done in the rest of the house by "qualified" electricians...that I am replacing/rectifying as quickly as possible and which i plan to get throughly checked when finished,  by a qualified electrician (a different one!).  Angry

Re actual choice of 10mm cable, interesting range of alternatives for 25 meters....£30 for bog standard and £37 for Pirelli (Screwfix +postage)....£47 from TLC. Guess which I chose?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2005, 3:20pm

£37 for pirelli.

i prefer pirelli over any other, you can feel the quality difference, BICC are also good

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2005, 9:22pm

Well of course if the work in 'the other house' were begun before January 1st, and finished before April 31st he wouldn't have to notify anyone. Of course it would be a good idea to get a real proper spark to do Periodic Inspection and Test on the existing installation before April, as this would show all circuits which existed at the time the test was done. an prove nothing had been done outside the scope of PartP (time-wise).

Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print