Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 5:36pm
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Core Drilling (Read 7882 times)
AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Core Drilling
Jan 26th, 2005, 2:02pm

I am currently renovating a bathroom and need a 120mm (ish) hole through both leaves of the external wall for an extractor (going through the roof soffit is not an option due to the characteristics of the house).  I do not own a core drill for the job and from what I can tell, it will cost me in the region of £60 to hire one for a weekend - not including a wearage charge.

Is drilling a single hole like this the sort of job your average jobbing buildier is likely to entertain, and if so, what should I expect to pay him?  (I was thinking somewhere in the region of £20).

Thanks in advance.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: Core Drilling
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2005, 4:51pm

well, as a spark i charge £45 per hole on a cavity wall, thats just the hole, not fitting the extractor.

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005, 8:47pm

[quote author=AndyOlds  link=1106748166/0#0 date=1106748166]

Is drilling a single hole like this the sort of job your average jobbing buildier is likely to entertain, and if so, what should I expect to pay him?  (I was thinking somewhere in the region of £20).

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Hmmmm, £20 eh?  Don't expect too much of a queue of builders at your door for that job!

So this builder, who has paid £200+ for a powerful drill plus £120 for the diamond cutter is going to drill you a hole for £20 is he?  Sorry to sound sarcastic but this is an insult!

I charge about £50 for the hole if I'm already on that job doing other stuff.  As a 'one off' visit just to drill the hole it's going to be minimum £80 + vat

Cheaper to hire one.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2005, 9:10pm

yeh, forgot to say its 45 quid if its there for other work and not just that

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

zambezi
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:27pm

If you find somebody to do it for £20, please let me know. I will use him to do all my holes instead of buying all the kit. It will save me a fortune!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2005, 11:02pm

JerryD,

Sarcastic? - no, not in the slightest!

Ok, so it seems I'm way out on this one.  Of course I understand that buying the right kit in the first place is a very expensive business (exactly why I don't want to have to do it myself for a single hole).  I just thought that for what's probably a relatively quick and straightforward job, I might have been able to get someone to do it for me cheaper than hiring the kit myself.

I apologise if my £20 guesstimate has insulted anybody!

Looks like a trip to the hire shop at the weekend then...

Thanks for all your replies.

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2005, 12:19am

[quote author=AndyOlds  link=1106748166/0#5 date=1106780572]
 I just thought that for what's probably a relatively quick and straightforward job, I might have been able to get someone to do it for me cheaper than hiring the kit myself.

[/quote]

Don't forget, when you employ a builder for a job, his tools that he uses are 'hired' to you while he's using them. He doesn't just 'lend' them to you for free!  Smiley  You then have to add on his time and fuel to get to the job, his time to do the job, his time to clear up afterwards and his time to return to wherever he came from.

This doesn't even include an initial visit to quote for the work.

£20!  Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2005, 5:18pm

Of course, if you really want to save a few pounds, you can do it with a hammer and chisel.  We used to, years ago.......

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2005, 10:49pm

hi Andyolds i have just done this job myself 100mm hole for a cooker vent, used a 500mmx12mm sds drill and stitched drilled all round the hole,(drew circle on inside then drilled hole dead centre then stitched all way round,drew circle on outside lineing up with centre hole then stitched all way round,done it this way with no BREAKOUT Smiley AND NO COST  only if you a an sds drill,or a good hammer drill). goodluck

cupid

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:09pm

Did the same job a few weeks ago. Hired the core drill for £18 for an afternoon-£2 cheaper than £20 Grin

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:08pm

Jim,

Where did you hire from?  Was the £18 for the hire of the core drill bit only, or the bit and the drill machine as well?  (I only own a standard 700W hammer drill).

Cheers.

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:41pm

[quote author=AndyOlds  link=1106748166/0#10 date=1107472110]I only own a standard 700W hammer drill [/quote]

Can I suggest you forget it?

A couple of years ago I had a trusty Black and Decker 650w hammer drill which I thought would be man enough for the job. I hired a diamond core drill and set to work, taking it very gently so as not to overload anything.

Within a very short time I was only halfway thru the first brick, and smoke was pouring out of the drill! Off to the local Homebase, bought a cheap 900w SDS, and it's served me well ever since.

HM
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:42pm by HM »  

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Trade: Handyman

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2005, 8:07am

Anybody seen these http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=362302&sfile=1&jump=0 ?

It looks suspiciously like the B&Q one I bought a couple of years ago for £30, and for 'not too heavy' use it's been great!  I have used it (sensibly) to knock down a few walls, and it's been really good so far.  I've got one to knock down today, and now I've said that it's bound to go wrong!

The Axminster one's a bit dearer, but even at £50 it's got to be good value.  

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2005, 3:41pm

[quote author=HM  link=1106748166/0#11 date=1107474110]

Can I suggest you forget it?

A couple of years ago I had a trusty Black and Decker 650w hammer drill which I thought would be man enough for the job. I hired a diamond core drill and set to work, taking it very gently so as not to overload anything.

Within a very short time I was only halfway thru the first brick, and smoke was pouring out of the drill! Off to the local Homebase, bought a cheap 900w SDS, and it's served me well ever since.

HM
[/quote]

That's why I asked if the hire charge was for the core 'bit' only, or for the core bit and an accompanying SDS drill.  I know my 700W hammer drill won't cope with a 120mm diameter lump of brick!!

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2005, 7:01pm

[quote author=AndyOlds  link=1106748166/0#13 date=1107531717]That's why I asked if the hire charge was for the core 'bit' only, or for the core bit and an accompanying SDS drill.  I know my 700W hammer drill won't cope with a 120mm diameter lump of brick!! [/quote]

Sorry mate, I misread the comment.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2005, 8:11pm

Hired it from Willis Hire and it was for the bit only but I used an old Black & Decker 750w Drill (only chuck I had that would take the drill) with it and it done the job OK

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2005, 2:32pm

Thanks for everyon'es help and comments.  I finally got round to doing this job a couple of weeks ago (I know, a fair while since I asked the question!).  I ended up just chain drilling a fair few holes around the circumference of the circle of brick I wanted to remove, using an 8mm, long, masonary bit.  I then just knocked out the lump and tidied up the inside edges using a bolster.  

I am very pleased with the result - a nice clean hole which is covered by even the small 'margin' around the edge of the crap plastic vent supplied with the extractor fan.

I have to admit though, it did take me almost half a day to get the bugger drilled and I almost (almost, mind you) couldn't lift my pint later that night due to the aching in my arm!

Never mind, these things wouldn't be so satisfying if they weren't such a challenge!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print