Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:45pm
Quote: One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him - Jeffrey Bernard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I've got a question for you....... (Read 1805 times)
JerryD
GDPR opt-out

I've got a question for you.......
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:45pm

At my house I have an alarm system but we never set it at night 'cos the thing scares the sh*t out of us if it goes off!

I know this is a bit dumb but also the BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP of the internal speaker in the hall is quite loud when we set the night alarm or if one of us comes downstairs in the night to raid the fridge or whatever.

So my questions:

1) Can I make the hall speaker quieter for night time use?

2) Can the system be wired so that if there is a 'genuine alarm' or a 'false alarm' at night, it does not go bonkers immediately but initially gives a warning sound in say the main bedroom. (This would give me a chance to see what was wrong without the whole house being woken up).

3) Can the system be wired so that, when you come downstairs during the night and the hall speaker starts to BLEEP, you just need to hit a single button somewhere in the hall rather than punch in a code on the keypad? (Say a special button in a concealed location that only we know about so a burglar would not be aware of it)

Any ideas would be welcome  Smiley

IP Logged

mrgrumpy
GDPR opt-out

Re: I've got a question for you.......
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2005, 7:16pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1109547952/0#0 date=1109547952]At my house I have an alarm system but we never set it at night 'cos the thing scares the sh*t out of us if it goes off!

I know this is a bit dumb but also the BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP of the internal speaker in the hall is quite loud when we set the night alarm or if one of us comes downstairs in the night to raid the fridge or whatever.

So my questions:

1) Can I make the hall speaker quieter for night time use?

2) Can the system be wired so that if there is a 'genuine alarm' or a 'false alarm' at night, it does not go bonkers immediately but initially gives a warning sound in say the main bedroom. (This would give me a chance to see what was wrong without the whole house being woken up).

3) Can the system be wired so that, when you come downstairs during the night and the hall speaker starts to BLEEP, you just need to hit a single button somewhere in the hall rather than punch in a code on the keypad? (Say a special button in a concealed location that only we know about so a burglar would not be aware of it)

Any ideas would be welcome  Smiley [/quote]

Answers:
1) yes you can, set to silent set/unset, if system allows!

2) have a keypad in bedroom with built-in mini sounder, set system to sound keypad sounders if activation.  Also fit a panic button, either in bedroom or top of stairs.  If greeted by drugey burglar, push! This will activate full alarm. Or you can have a small buzzer in bedroom, (cheap option) plus panic button.

3) If you do as for (2), you put code in keypad in bedroom, system silent unsets, go for drinkies, come back up and re-enter code to silent set, get in bed Smiley

Let us know what system you have, as some you can't do much of the above.  Due to them being old or cheap or just crap.  If your a sparkie jerry, your best getting a new sophisticated system and put it in yourself.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 7:18pm by mrgrumpy »  

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: I've got a question for you.......
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2005, 10:12pm

Thanks to both of you.  I don't think I'm giving anything away if I tell you the make of system here?  Undecided

Main panel:   Abacus 8R

Keypad:  Abacus DA

This was all installed in July 2000.  The main panel is in a cupboard under the stairs and the keypad is by the front door.

We already have 2 panic buttons, one by front door and one in main bedroom.

With the info you've given I feel we're getting somewhere now but just to say again what I think I really want:  Grin

1) Hall sounder to be totally silent for night setting (if this is possible how would I know it has set? Is it possible to have flashing neon indicator or similar?)

2) A method to quickly set the alarm for night setting (instead of keying in the flippin code I'd like to just have a big red button to push once - this would instantly start the silent/night set mode).

3) "Quick unset button" for night setting so that kids, visitors etc can disarm the system by pressing one special (concealed) button on their way downstairs, then later whack the big red button to re-set as they return to bed.  Some sort of flashing light would be needed here to remind you that the alarm needs switching off when you come down in the middle of the night?

4) Mini buzzer in main bedroom to give 'low-key' warning of alarm activation a couple of minutes before the main alarm bells start up. Perhaps we need a further "Quick unset button" in the bedroom?

Is any of this possible with the installation I have?  ???

btw, I have to have this done by a NACOSS company due to house insurance demands  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print