Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 2:15am
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forgotten your Password? (Read 2348 times)
Windy Miller
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Handyman

Forgotten your Password?
Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:59pm

A neighbour's lad had been messing about with Control Panel on Win 2K, and had managed to change his password and then forgot it!  He never knew the Administrator password as the box came pre-loaded so he was knackered really.

I tried a Linux Boot Disk that I had downloaded a while back.  WOW  Shocked  this thing was scary!  It booted the box up, had a rummage about in the system, had a rummage about in the registry, listed the Users, and then asked which passwords you want to change.  Simple as that!  You don't need to know the original passwords, and you don't have to log on, so you certainly don't have to be an administrator! It works on NT3.51, NT4, Win2K.  Not sure about XP tho...

It came in very handy this evening, but in the wrong hands this thing could be really dodgy.

Anybody want a copy, just PM me! Wink

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: Forgotten your Password?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:39pm

These things are always available via the Internet anyway.

In a way it's a good thing that there's a backdoor in. However it's appalling that it actually exists! It's like locking yourself out of the house and knowing you only have to move the plant pot to get back in.... Smiley

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:50pm

truth is unless you are using encrypted filesystems then you aren't going to stop someone booting up the machine and reading the hard drive.

theese disks really just save you the hassle of reinstalling windows nothing more.

please note though: only use theese disks when you absoloutely have to. they generally rely on a not hugely reliable ntfs driver and using them is therefore a bit dangerous (remember they have to write to the hard drive to change passwords)

also note: if you are using the encryption features in windows then any encrypted files owned by the account you change the password of will be lost.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2005, 9:14am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1109113149/0#2 date=1109116234]please note though: only use theese disks when you absoloutely have to. they generally rely on a not hugely reliable ntfs driver and using them is therefore a bit dangerous (remember they have to write to the hard drive to change passwords)
, [/quote]

I thought linux couldnt write to ntfs partitions as they were "owned" by microsoft. the only truly interchangeable is good old FAT32??  On the plus side, yet another reason to use linux stuff...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2005, 6:46pm

[quote author=billythekid  link=1109113149/0#3 date=1109236464]

I thought linux couldnt write to ntfs partitions as they were "owned" by microsoft. the only truly interchangeable is good old FAT32??  On the plus side, yet another reason to use linux stuff...

btk [/quote]

the trouble with ntfs is its not fully understood by the linux community and its not documented by ms either.

so it can be written but doing so is dangerous as you are never quite sure how windows will respond to what you have done.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print