Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 11:46am
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running cables through joists (Read 2372 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

Running cables through joists
Mar 5th, 2005, 1:07am

Can someone tell me exactly what the wiring regulations say in practice about running cables through joists?

I have re read the 16th. ed. on site guide but it is as clear as mud to an amateur!

There is a point upstairs where I have bunched the cables which run under the landing to avoid drilling extra holes and avoid weakening the joists.  All cables run 2" down as they should. Everywhere else they are separated  by at least a cables width except when running under capping to switches/sockets.

However, I am now told that not only is it not good practice, although it was common to do this in years gone by, but these days will lead to incorrect readings, and that I should have bunched only the lighting cables, if any.

As ever,all advice welcome......

Thanks

JohnD

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Running cables through joists
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2005, 9:41am

Bunch away!

In a modest sized house, cables have already been selected to take accound of grouping - how else would you get them all to the CU  Grin

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2005, 9:49am

Bear in mind however that mains and other cables should be separated by at least 50mm.

So if there is a telephone or aerial cable in the bunch then it ought to be separated.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2005, 10:05am

Phew!

I could have sorted it out by rerouting two cables but it is nice not having to do so.

JohnD

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print