Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 10:55pm
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
security light? (Read 4650 times)
t3zza36

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

security light?
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:05pm

replacing security light with pir which worked but on switch not sensor.only trouble is i have in light brown,blue,yellow/green but from switch i have red,blue,yellow,yellow/green,now i realise that 1 is secondary live but where does it go.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: security light?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2005, 1:42am

[quote author=t3zza36  link=1110492327/0#0 date=1110492327]replacing security light with pir which worked but on switch not sensor.only trouble is i have in light brown,blue,yellow/green but from switch i have red,blue,yellow,yellow/green,now i realise that 1 is secondary live but where does it go. [/quote]
Hello

Now assuming the brown/blue/G&Y are going to the light, this is 3-core flex, which will allow you to have you're light on or off, whilst this is turned off you're sensor will not work

what goes to the switch, or so it seems, is 3-core and earth flat cable, where you have red/yellow/blue/G&Y

One of them e.g. red will be a perminant live, e.g. not switched, another e.g. yellow, will be a switched live, allowing you're light to work off the sensor from the perminant live, and allowing you to manualy switch the light on from the yellow live cable

the blue is likely the neutral, and the G&Y will be earth, or should be, G/Y should always be an earth, and all floodlight's and external light's should be earthed

going by the limited information you have give, it seems to me that you have bought this light but wired it in flexible cable which now limit's you to what you can do, you need 4 core's in total, 2 lives, 1 neutral, one earth, otherwise you will need to leave the switch on for the light unit to work

AND

the live that run's in to the light (brown) MUST be in the perminant live, usualy marked 'L', if the brown cable is in 'L1' you're light will not function correctly

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2005, 8:05am

Sounds like the light fitting you have purchased has the PIR built into the fitting, with no '4th' terminal where the PIR live connects to the lamp holder.

Many fittings are like this.

I would put the Blue to the Blue, Yellow to the Brown (with a little bit of red or brown ident sleeve on the yellow), and the earth to the earth.

Put the red in a terminal block on it's own.

Then leave your switch turned on all the time, and the PIR will function.  If you want to latch the light on permanently, these fittings usually have a feature to do so.  You normally need to turn the switch in the house off and on again with in 3 seconds or so.  This brings the light on.  To turn it off, you need to turn the switch off, and leave it off for 10 to 15 seconds before turning it back on.

Hope that is clear.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2005, 1:56pm

All the one's I've bought with an in-built PIR have had an L1 terminal for switch live lecc  Roll Eyes

otherwise you can't latch it on, well you can do that silly switching on and off till the halogen wears out but it's proper naff
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 1:57pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2005, 2:08pm

It's mainly coach lamps and bulkheads that dont have a lamp live.  It is to prevent you linking it to other light fittings, as the PIR's are cheap and naff in these ones.

This chap has had is answer from DIYplop - the usual load of dribble!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2005, 2:41pm

Quote:
It's mainly coach lamps and bulkheads that dont have a lamp live.  It is to prevent you linking it to other light fittings, as the PIR's are cheap and naff in these ones

I'll remember that, got to fit one of them sometime  Roll Eyes
Quote:
This chap has had is answer from DIYplop - the usual load of dribble!

Tell me more
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 2:41pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print