Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 9:01pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pond (Read 9360 times)
cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

pond
Mar 23rd, 2005, 8:47pm

I am in the proccess of building my first pond Grin,rather than digging out,it will be raised from the ground,constructed from light weight breeze blocks 3 course high,approx overall size 10ftx10ftx30in if squared off but it is in the shape of the letter D, the back (straight bit)will be backed up with earth and then decking near to the top,its the front curved section that i need somehow to hold back as to  stop burst out when filled with water (liner fitted first),any ideas as to what i could use ??? this section will be covered in a log roll effect to finish.
many thanks

cupid

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: pond
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2005, 7:30am

I built my koi pond from 9" hollow conc blocks, dropped rebar down each hole & infilled with concrete, will post a few more details & WIP shots later when I get back from work, BTW its 5ft deep & holds 3500gals Grin

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2005, 7:44pm

Cupid the first thing I would suggest is digging out some if not all the depth as this will help to regulate the temperature changes caused by weather etc which can be very harmful to fish, I assume you will be keeping fish in it?

Are you building the walls off a strip foundation or a slab, the slab option will allow the whole pond to move as one if there is any ground movement, at zero depth frost heave should be considered. Also slope the bottom to a central point as this will aid removal of waste, mine has a 4" bottom drain that feeds the filters.

Which brings me to the next point, unless you plan on heavy planting and a few fish you will need filtration and a UV if you want to see any fish.

For the curved unsupported wall I would lay the blocks flat to give a 9" thick wall and place Exmet in the joints to prevent cracking. Or use hollow blocks with rebar & infilled with concrete.

Here are a few pics of mine:

This one shows the 8" thick reinforced raft foundation, hollow blocks and 4" filter feed, the bottom was later sloped to the feed.

The blocks have now been infilled and an integral concrete ring beam cast in place to support the rockwork, you can see some Exmet joint reinforcement on the pile of blocks, corners "eased" with cut thermalite blocks, wall to filter bay added

Walls now rendered and direct fibreglassed, rockwork & waterfall in place, filter in chamber, surface skimmer bottom right of pond wall.

And a couple of finished pics, any other queries just shout.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2005, 10:22pm

thank you JASON  good point about digging out all the depth, i will be keeping goldfish for now then hope to progress from there (if she lets me Roll Eyes) a gravity feed filter on on its way so is a uv. looking at your pics (bloody impressive) it must give you hours of sheer lazyness pleasure of course with a pint in you hand Tongue
if mine tuns out half as good as yours i will be well happy Cheesy
thanks again

cupid

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2005, 8:03am

Jason a while ago I asked if you ever slept, I think I know the answer Wink

Very impressive pond looks very natural. I have a muddy hole in the garden, should be a pond but it never rains anymore Undecided

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2005, 8:31am

"then hope to progress from there"

The same old story, you go to the garden center and see those lovely looking Koi and the bug has got you Grin

Next you will be wanting it at least twice the depth, bottom drain to gravity filter etc etc.

Few pond build pics on this forum

This is quite an epic but worth the read

Take a look at the landscaping ideas on this site, Koi kichi has some good pond building sections, the koi2kichi is a bit too advanced for you at this stage http://www.koikichi.com/index2.html

Now get out there & start digging Cheesy

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2005, 10:29pm

Jason, I have built many ponds in my time and have a great love of fish (cold and tropical) and it`s good to see someone that knows the needs of the fish.
The pond is awsome mate , a superb job, wish I had the time to build one.
Well done again.

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print