Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 3:58am
Quote: I intend to live forever........So far, so good...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for bricklayers (Read 1630 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Question for bricklayers
Apr 12th, 2005, 10:59am

Our house design has courses of bricks that won't be just regular stretcher bond. At about head height for example we have two courses that protrude 25mm to form a band around the house.

We'll be using professional bricklayers to build the house but I'm interested to know how these are usually constructed. eg...

Do normally you use solid bricks for these with no frog? or regular bricks with Frog up/down perhaps?

What happens at the corners? I mean the length of these courses is 50mm longer than the ones below - so are there special long bricks for the corners or ??

Anything we should look out for? eg to help us work out if the bricklayers gets scotch or just beer for Christmas!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Question for bricklayers
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2005, 10:59pm

This sounds like a 'string course'.  If you're not using the same bricks (as the house) for this then I'd suggest a hard, solid unfrogged brick (usually with three holes through).

Often a contrasting colour brick is used.

The bonding for the "extra" 25mm at each corner can be taken care of by using a cut after the first header.  This is similar to the Queen Closer used in 225 brickwork corner bonding.

This Queen Closer will need to be about 30mm.

Hope this makes sense
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:28pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print