No hot water (Read 5553 times)
welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

No hot water
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:59am

Hi guys and gals
I have no hot water from the taps/shower. I have a Baxi back boiler. It runs rads upstairs and downstairs. The rads are temperamental. The ones upstairs (where the feed starts)  are always hot, whilst the ones downstairs only come on sometimes. I think the ones downstairs are sometimes cold due to a balancing problem. I know for a fact that some of the TRVs are on the wrong ends of the rads. Will have to empty the whole system and change them over. But I think I can sort that one out. The main problem is that although the radiators (downstairs and upstairs) can be very hot, there is no heating of the hot water. I have a hot water boiler in an airing cupboard on the first floor, fed from a tank in the loft. The CH also has a separate header tank. The hot water boiler is slighty warm to the touch, but nothing more. When I first did some work to the system (plumbed in a sink and WM) I didn't have any water from the hot water side. This was due to an air lock which I cleared by conecting hot to cold and purging through. Worked fine for a time but not now. Installed two additional rads downstairs a year ago. All rads in house have TRVs and LVs (except bathroom towel rail). Help? Could it be due to the CH system? I think the lower part of the tank should be hot from the CH system, making the upper part of the tank (hot water) hot too. Have I got it? Oh, and I'm just about to fit a new condensing combi and rip the Baxi out.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: No hot water
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005, 4:29pm

I'm not quite sure if I've got this. Is the problem no water from the taps or are you getting water but its not hot/heated?

For the first, could be airlock or sludge/blockage. Try the old hose between the taps at the kitchen or connect the two w/m valves together and blow through for a few seconds. Make sure the valve next to the H/W Cylinder(the one in the airing cupboard) is not turned off.

If you are getting water from your taps but its not heated, check your boiler is working(are rads getting hot, can you see the pilot light/boiler firing up).
If the boiler is working check any thermostats.(Make sure its set to call for heat. Listen for a "click" as you change the setting.) There is commonly one strapped to the cylinder for hot water. If a thermostat is broken it will need replacing(usually inexpensive).
If all these checks leave you scratching your head, you might have sludge in the flow or return pipe to the cylinder or a broken diverter valve. If you know where your valves are(next to or near the boiler usually) check those for operation.

hope this gives you some ideas.
Quote:
I think the lower part of the tank should be hot from the CH system, making the upper part of the tank (hot water) hot too. Have I got it?

Not quite, yes the heating water is seperate from the H/W but it's not "layered" in the cylinder.  If you look at it you will see 4 main connections on the cylinder, one from the top, one very low on one side and two, one above the other on the other side(you may have others too) it is these two pipes that are your flow/return pipes from the heating system. The water flows in one pipe and out the other, but it doesnt really go "in" your cylinder. these two pipes are directly connected through a long coil of pipe wrapped inside the cylinder. Its this coil that heats your hot water. (the coil has a far higher surface area than your stratofying method, therefore more heat goes between it and the water to be heated.)

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2005, 4:50pm

Thanks BTK. Getting water from the taps, but tepid.
The back boiler fires up as normal, but there is no heat at the tank. It fires up when I call for heat.  It also fires up and makes the rads hot when I call for hot water only. Don't know whether that's right, but has been like that when I bought the house in February 2004. The radiators get really hot. Have 3 TRVs on the wrong sides of 3 of the rads so will change those around tonight. I think the problem may be a combination of air locks and unbalanced system.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:12pm

balancing your system is definately a good starting point. Sounds like there might still be a problem with your diverter/3-port valve(s) though. Your rads should not come on when calling hot water only. On some systems hot water will come on when calling for heating only but not the other way round....
Do your balancing first then see how its running. You could be on the right track with that especially if some radiators arent heating at all. The ones that are heating(very hot) could just be using all the water for themselves, not allowing the hot water or other rads to get any... lol

How do you know what pipes are flow and what ones are return when you say some rads have the TRV on the wrong side, as they could come in at either side? I'm sure you have a method but just saying just in case... lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:36pm

Put the CH on at lunchtime and checked which side the hot is coming into. On some rads its coming into the lockshield valve side.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:39pm

[quote author=welldweller  link=1113386357/0#4 date=1113410216]Put the CH on at lunchtime and checked which side the hot is coming into. On some rads its coming into the lockshield valve side. [/quote]

wtg Wink now sort it!! lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:41pm

Could there be an airlock in the CH coil inside the tank? I can hear a rush of water in the rads if I turn a TRV up higher, or the thermostat on the landing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2005, 10:17am

Changed the valves around. The TRVs are all on the correct side of the rads now. CH is running fine and i've balanced the lot.
But still no hot water. Now reverted to using the immersion, until my new combi is installed.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2005, 3:24pm

suspect motorised valve to the cylinder at fault. try getting someone else to wait at the control panel/timeclock, while you go check the valves. Get them to call for hot water and see if the valve moves and boiler fires up. If the valve is at fault renew valve/replace motor. (on some valves you can hold the valve open, move the slide over and lock in place)

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2005, 3:38pm

THanks btk, but, um, what do these valves look like, where are they, how will I know if its working, etc.
The tank is in a cupboard on the first floor, the baxi back boiler on the ground floor. When I call for central heating on the controller the boiler fires up as normal.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2005, 7:24pm

The look like this..

http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk/default.asp

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Horstmann__Mot...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Central_Heating_Other/

Sometimes they look more rugged. Frequently located under the H/W cylinder or near the boiler. You can sometimes hear them move when the system switches from heating the H/W to heating the rads.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 7:25pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

welldweller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2005, 9:44am

Ha! Found it! Was at the side of the chimney breast next to the controller. When calling for water the lever doesn't move. If I move the lever by hand when the boiler is fired up, then turn it off at the controller, the lever moves back. Whatever happens, the pipe either side doesn't get hot so doesn't look like there's any flow. I take it that the lever should move when I call for water and therefore its knacked. Don't think I'll bother replacing it as the new boiler should shortly be installed.
Thanks for all you guy's help. It was much appreciated. At least I TRIED to solve the problem.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print