Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:18pm
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing recessed shower valve (Read 8615 times)
chisel
GDPR opt-out

Installing recessed shower valve
Apr 13th, 2005, 5:39pm

Posted this on the Screwfix forum earlier today but a bit quiet over there and not much feedback, so thought I would see if its any livelier over here ?!!!

I have a Crosswater recessed two outlet shower valve to fit when I refurb our home bathroom.

It's going to be fitted in an external wall (brick/cavity/block) which I have to chase out, but I am not entirely sure how to secure the valve in place once the recess is made.

The instructions are a bit lacking and because I'm not a pro and haven't fitted one before (although done a lot of other plumbing over the years) I didn't want to learn the hard way and screw it up !

The depth of mounting in the recess appears to be pretty critical so that the flush mounting surface plate and controls fit over the tiling afterwards.

Not sure whether to line some of the sides of the recess, or the inside face of the external brick skin, with timber and fasten to this (damp bridging problem possibly if fastened to external brick skin?), or whether just to rest the weight of the valve on the bottom of the recess ?

Also haven't thought yet how to fill/cover the pipe chases prior to tiling so any guidance on that would be appreciated also.

Many thanks,

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Installing recessed shower valve
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:59pm

I usually fit Trevi mixers, they make a special bracket for mounting their mixers in cavity walls, may be worth contacting Crosswaters to see if they make one.

Pipes will need to be sleeved to stop damage by cement or use plastic pipe.

Jason
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005, 5:59pm by jasonB »  

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2005, 7:23pm

I generally supply and fit Aqualisa showers and fitting them into a cavity wall can be a problem as, by the time you've chopped out a big enough recess for the valve, you're right through the blockwork.

What I do if I can, is reverse fix a panel of 18mm wbp ply to the back of the block, through the opening I have chopped out.  This ply is fixed to the block using 120mm or 150mm rustproof screws.

The screws need to be this long to go through the block 100mm and to grab the ply and pull it tight to the back of the opening.

To fit the ply is a bit of a balancing act.  I screw in a long screw into the middle of the ply to act as a temporary handle, poke the ply through the block and thread it into the cavity, then pull it back against the blocks using the screw handle.

You can then fix it properly with a long screw in each corner and then remove the 'handle'.

This ply can then form the backboard for your valve installation.  Often you have to pack out against this ply as it may be too deep for your particular valve.

Hope this helps.

btw, the ply (being wbp) will be fine in the cavity as long as there is insulation between it and the outer brickwork.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005, 9:51pm by JerryD »  

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2005, 9:07pm

Jerry D,

If you havent yet fitted one, then try out the Aqualisa Quartz Shower valve, they are by far the best shower valve to have come onto the market in the last 10 years.

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2005, 9:50pm

Yes I have fitted the Quartz! (that's the one with the separate controller with Cat5 cables?)

These are much easier to install I agree, just a 15mm supply to the handset outlet and a plug in control switch.  I like the flashing light indicator too.

Perhaps I should push these more..........  Cheesy

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2005, 10:50pm

With the off the wall systems you can fit the entire set up after all tiling work has been done as the slider bar acts as the mixed water passage to the handset.

Also Aqualisa are doing an offer at the moment where you get a free remote on/off switch so you can (in theory) run it next to your bed, to turn the shower on when you wake up!

Also the 30% trade discount is good!

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2005, 11:10pm

Can these Quartz take a Stuart Turner 3 bar pump?  ???

I know there is a 'built in pump' Quartz but these go nowhere near 3 bar.  I was considering pumping the 'standard' Quartz (but to 3 bar)

It seems most people I install for all want minimum 3 bar shower pressure nowadays Shocked

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2005, 11:22pm

Good question, the Quartz valves that I have fitted come with a boost button which gives an excellent pressure but not amazing.

You most cetainly can pump the Quartz system but you must make sure you buy the processor model and not the pumped processor model.

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2005, 11:31pm

Many thanks.  Cheesy

IP Logged

chisel
GDPR opt-out

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2005, 6:16am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will contact Crosswater and see if they do any special fixings, otherwise have to do something along the lines you mentioned JD.

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print