Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:14am
Quote: Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cordless jigsaws (Read 3044 times)
Raptor
GDPR opt-out

Cordless jigsaws
Apr 15th, 2005, 12:12am

Been offered a Bosch 14.4 jigsaw (green one )anyone got any experience of one?. Do they flatten the batteries rapidly considering this one only has 1.5 ah batteries?Will it cut 40mm worktop?

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Re: Cordless jigsaws
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2005, 12:28am

Cant comment on the green ones but my 24v Bosch is amazing.

I would be a little worried whether it was man enough for the job being only 14.4v. I had a go of a friends 24v green combi drill and I found it gutless.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it' not what you wanted to hear!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2005, 1:04am

The 1.5 ah battery will not really have the staying power for things such as work tops, for cordless sawing, 18v, 2.0ah and over  is essential if the tooling is going to be asked to perform on a constant basis.. anything below the 18v area, will be okay for "small works", such as 1/2" ply,  cutting to length t & g etc
and as for BOSCH colouring of tooling, the BLUE is listed /aimed as the PRO range, where as the GREEN is for the diy/semi-pro ....
in answer to the question will it cut the 40mm WT's, then yes, given the correct blade, but it would struggle on a sink cut out , needing more than one battery for this distance!!!
like BSTYLE states, sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but at least you asked for advise before you bought it!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2005, 7:07pm

Thanks for the replies,i was offered a hardly used 14.4 drill and cordless jiggy ,2 batteries and charger for 60 quid ,as the batteries would fit my blue Bosch drill that was my main interest.Was not bothered about the drill but thought the jiggy and batteries would be usefull.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2005, 10:46pm

Sounds like a good price but only if it works OK!
I would ask him if you can give the jigga a go to see how long it lasts, if you're looking for a couple of spare batts then maybe it's worth it even if they are only 1.5's.
I still reckon you should go for the 24v blue jigga!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2005, 1:12pm

It might be interesting to do some sums.....

1.5AH cells are so named because they can deliver 1.5A for an hour.  In practice a power tool draws more current than 1.5A but that's no problem, the same battery can supply (in theory) ...

15A for 6 mins or
22.5A for 4 mins or
45A for 2 mins etc

To work out how much power that is just multiply the figures above by about 12 or 13. Not 14.4 because under load the voltage of a 12 cell NiCad battery will fall below it's nominal 14.4V. A reasonable rule for high current use is 1V per cell hence 12V.

So That battery can supply..

15x12=180W for 6 mins or
22.5x12=270W for 4 mins or
45 x 12 =540W for 2 mins

however at 45A you would probably loose a lot in the switch, wires and motor inefficiency. In practice the motor in the power tool is likely to be only 70-80% efficient so we should probably multiply the above by say 0.75 to get a more realistic figure for the output power.

A higher voltage battery is better because:

a) the max current you can draw from a certain size of cell is limited. Therefore the only way to get more power is to increase the voltage.

b) higher voltage motors are more efficient.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 1:15pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print