Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 12:19am
Quote: The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spirit level (Read 5354 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

Spirit level
May 10th, 2005, 8:07pm

I am doing an extension and need a longer spirit level than the old, Rabone, item I have now.

I am torn betwen a Stabila (good quality but very expensive for one job) and Marksman etc. which at 1mm per metre error will hardly bother me.

Anyone in the trade got any comments?

JohnD
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2005, 10:53pm by tjohndavies »  

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: Spirit level
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2005, 10:26pm

Stabila is a bit overkill costwise for diy.

Just get a solid level (box section) as these tend to be slightly more rigid at the cheap end of the market.

Whatever make you get, test it for both plumb and level, even some Stabila levels are not perfect.

Cheap levels can go 'out of true' if dropped or hit so take care of it.  Test it during the job to check it's still true.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2005, 10:26pm by JerryD »  

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2005, 11:16pm

If you live anywhere near Blackbushe Market in Hampshire then you will find Stabila Spirit levels of all sizes at a fraction of the cost, all mine have been bought there.

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2005, 11:19pm

[quote author=bstyle  link=1115752072/0#2 date=1115763401]If you live anywhere near Blackbushe Market in Hampshire then you will find Stabila Spirit levels of all sizes at a fraction of the cost, all mine have been bought there. [/quote]

Are these genuine Stabila?

IP Logged

JohnD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2005, 3:22pm

I was in B * Q and tried out quite a few of their stock. Very worrying as most instantly failed the standard Davies test (i.e. find something long, straight, and seemingly level,  put the spirit level on it, turn it end for end, put it on the same spot, and note any difference in where the bubble sits.  Do it again on various surfaces,  until you find the rare spirit level that reads exactly the same both ways on!  Vertical surfaces also. )

Several levels of the same make gave wildly different readings on the same surface, especially B & Q own makes.  I would like to see some of the structures anyone built with one - but at least now I know how that tower in Pisa got to be the way it is!

Eventually came across two really good Drapers, supposedly professional quality, in aluminium, with a milled finish, and very clear to read. Cost me about £45 for the two.

JohnD
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2005, 3:25pm by tjohndavies »  

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2005, 8:30pm

They are, I'm assuming they are that is. Still quite expensive though but a lot cheaper than shop prices. I compared my 1200mm level to my mates from a shop and it was identical so I went back and bought an 1800mm one, very durable levels.

I use my levels for tiling work, where I draw a line around the room. When I get around the room I can see how far out the level has got by offering the start line to the finish line. The lines are normally very close which you wouldn't get if it was a cheapy level.

IP Logged

Timmo

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2005, 9:09am

Try this site for cheap stanley tools

http://www.raitechnical.com/..okay so slight off thread but  ............. Roll Eyes

Click on Stanley Sale for the discounted stuff
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2005, 9:11am by Timmo »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2005, 8:38pm

[quote author=JohnD  link=1115752072/0#0 date=1115752072]I am doing an extension and need a longer spirit level than the old, Rabone, item I have now.

I am torn betwen a Stabila (good quality but very expensive for one job) and Marksman etc. which at 1mm per metre error will hardly bother me.

Anyone in the trade got any comments?

JohnD [/quote]

It's not very exspensive ,
                             if you are building a extension,is it?If you think about it you will probably use it again             and then some more good level = good investment.Go on you know you want one Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Ally Butt

What am I doing here?

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2005, 2:59pm

If anywhere near to Brum the Toolman on the Coventry Road at Sheldon has hand tools at prices that beat the sheds into a cocked hat.  Genuine stuff - some possibly grey imports but hey the quality is there.  Also cheaper stuff for the DIYer.  Yet to go in when he is not busy.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print