Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 12:32am
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dry Mix (Read 12301 times)
chris_DIY

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Dry Mix
May 22nd, 2005, 9:31am

Hi, all

I have been told I need to mix up a "semi dry mix" of concrete to lay a quadrant shower base  onto some marine ply. The shower instructions say a sand:cement mix of 5:1.

What exactly is a "dry mix", or in my case a semi-dry-mix, how much water should i use & will it all stick together if its too dry,as the problem I can forsee is the concrete oozing out under the weight of the base.

Help!

many thanks

Chris

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: Dry Mix
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:58am

means mixing up your mix without adding water, hence dry mix  Grin

wet mix is your normal mix as before + water

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2005, 11:46am

I think what is required is a 'stiff mix' - get ready for aching arms when mixing Wink

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2005, 5:47pm

If you are mixing by hand then turn your sand and cement together dry firstly and then sprinkle water into the mix while continually turning the mix together so that you do not get very wet patches. It becomes a semi dry or screed mix when you can squeeze a fistfull in your hand and it will bind together rather than crumble away in the hand.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2005, 7:11pm

A lot of the manufacturers of stone resin shower trays recommend using sand/cement or silicone to bed the tray down. I've used sand/cement once in 13 years and wasnt impressed, tray still moved and eventually the sand/cement cracked.

I tend to use silicone when the floor is pretty much perfectly level or a rapid setting flexible cement based tile adhesive when the floor is far out. I know a lot of guys that use a few tubes of building adhesive and they never have problems either.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chris_DIY

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:05pm

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

At least now I know what sort of consistency I should be aiming for.

The surface I am laying this on is very level (marine ply), so doesnt really need concrete to level it, BUT the instuctions say i MUST bed it on concrete Angry

I did wonder about silicon, although the stuff I have used around the bath is flexible & I can sort of imagine the tray wobbling about on it (maybe)  Shocked

Adheasive sounds like a possible option, got any recommendations?

All I really want to do is secure it firmly & make sure it never moves!!!

Cheers!

Chris (first & last time I fit a shower!)  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:14pm

Does it say 'concrete'??

Usually you bed a tray on mortar.

You can bed it on what you like but the warranty will only cover you if you've followed the instructions.

It has to be bedded to compensate for minor imperfections in the floor and the tray.

I've done loads of them on mortar, never had a problem, make the mortar soft enough to allow the tray to be tapped level all round.  If it's too stiff it won't bed down, so use a similar consistency to bricklaying mortar.

When it's bedded and levelled, walk away and leave it for minimum 24 hours.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:18pm

I would lay the tray in position 'dry' and then check for level.

If it is very near perfect then use silicone, small blobs all over base and a line onto bottom of sides.

The manufacturers can be misleading in their advice and will always find fault with your installation techniques to invalidate the warranty. I've been fitting stone resin for many years now and know a lot of Bathroom fitters that practise in the same ways I do, we are all domestic installers who wouldnt dream of site work and have never had a problem fitting in this way.

To me using sand /cement as a fixing method is a joke, how can it possibly stand up to the daily usage that it's put under?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:26pm

No offence to your methods JerryD!! Smiley

Just really didnt work for me.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2005, 10:55pm

LOL!

"My method"  ???  It's not my idea  Grin

Mortar on chipboard or ply?  Bloody daft if you ask me.

It's those damn instructions though...............

If the tray cracks and it's not installed as per manufacturers instructions then the cost of replacement is all down to you  Shocked

Imagine a fully tiled luxury bathroom with fully fitted shower enclosure etc etc....... and the tray cracks  Shocked  If it's installed as per instructions then it's either the manufacturer or the customer who pays, not me.

If the rep sees it's on silicone or some other 'non approved' method then there will be a sharp intake of breath  "Oooooooo deeeeeeeer, it doesn't seem to be bedded on sand/cement.  Sorry guys but it's not a manufacturing fault, it's an installation fault"

Installer --------------------->  Embarrassed Cry

lol  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2005, 11:04pm

I take your point Jerry. Anyway I cant stay up all night chatting I've got a busy week ahead of me removing cracked shower trays!!  Wink

By the way, a lot of manufacturers do say bed on silicone.......god I am an old woman!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2005, 11:10pm

Just go to bed and stop fretting  Wink

lol  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print