Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Jun 3rd, 2024, 1:58pm
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
security light (Read 3666 times)
yoda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

security light
May 12th, 2005, 5:53pm

hello was wondering if you could help me ,if when wiring a security light through a switch would it be possible to wire it so that when the switch is open the light would work normally (ie through the pir ) but when you operated the switch the light would come on as a normal light.the answer im looking for is not a light with an override facility but possibly wiring the light from the switch via 3 core and earth ,the common connected to the pir side and the switched live connected to the light side.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Re: security light
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2005, 6:05pm

why not a light with override facility????????

so you have a permanent and switched feed at the light. turn the switch on and light comes on, turn it off and light controlled via pir????????????

or many pir lights nowaday can have only one live wich if left on controls light via pir but if you switch on the off within 2 seconds light comes on permanently, to turn it back to pir controlled you simply switch off for at least 30 seconds before turning back on

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2005, 10:47pm

If you want a light unit with override function you need to buy one, you should not alter light fitting's but instead buy one suitable for the task

If it only has 3 terminals it's likely it doesn’t have override function, however some light's will allow you to manually override them by switching their supply of and on 3-times (as scotspark said), look at the manual to see if this is possible, if it is you may supply the light with 3-cores (Live, Neutral, Earth) and operate it as you want using the switch following the manual

e.g.

switch on and off 3 times = constant
turn off for 60 seconds and then on = PIR mode

or other similar variation
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2005, 11:08pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2005, 10:53pm

I fitted a stand-alone PIR without override to operate the light in my van-port.

There is one switch which supplies power to the PIR and there is a second switch that simply bypasses the PIR altogether and switches the light on independently. I can disable the PIR altogether and just use the OnOff switch, or I can leave the PIR on all the time, but override when I want, which is my default method.

If you just see the PIR as a switch then it's not difficult to work out how to wire it up.

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2005, 11:06pm

Surely that is a unit with overide function  ???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print