Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 6:28am
Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My New Toilet! (Update: Has started leaking) (Read 8191 times)
Markos

Computer says "no"...

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

My New Toilet! (Update: Has started leaking)
May 12th, 2005, 10:44pm

Well... I don't actually need any advice, I just wanted to share the fact I've just finished fitting my first ever toilet Smiley

Had a wee problem with the inlet valve leaking from around the plastic nut, but plonked some silicon around the fitting before putting it together seemed to cure it.

And then there was the fact the inlet valve thing blocked my access to the hole to screw the "toilet tank" to the wall...

I managed to get the pan into place about a week ago, but its taken all this time to get the tiling done, and get a replacement rubber washer for the inlet valve... which feckin leaked anyway! Anyway, her indoors enjoyed flushing with a bucket of water  Roll Eyes

I was dead chuffed to have cut through the old cast iron soil pipe and find that one of those multikwik doophreys made the new modern WC fit a treat! The old one was sort of "mortar'd" in place.

If it wasn't for forums like this, and other such useful guides on the net I'd have got someone else to do it, but I'm now a mega chuffed confirmed DIY plumber  8)

Without a doubt, I've got a million miles to go to catch you guys up, but I've just taken my first step up the ladder  Wink

I'm off for another flush Cheesy

What a feckwit I'm going to look if it's developed a leak in this time   Undecided
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2005, 6:48pm by Markos »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: My New Toilet!
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2005, 10:50pm

LMAO thats awesome, well done.

Is the inlet valve one of those plastic quarter turn jobbies, if it is you have done well those bastards always leak.  Good on you for attempting the cast too, many would turn at the sight of it(or box out the pan from the wall.)
You were lucky too as often cutting a cast waste will result in the height being way off for the pan, which then means more cutting and various "doophreys" joined together to get it to fit! lol

well done markos, whats next on the plumbing agenda? I'd reccommend you try out a wash hand basin(which is every apprentices nightmare job) or outside tap.

btk
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2005, 10:53pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2005, 10:54pm

PS my pan in the house still has a leak!!!! The hardwood panel behind it has turned blue from the blue loos in the cistern! lol
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2005, 10:55pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2005, 6:57am

Heh!! It's bloomin early, but having awoken and laid there for a while I started to wonder if I should inspect for leaks... wwwoooo! Touch wood!  It's still dry!  8)

And yes, the inlet valve was plastic, and "do it handtight, plus a quarter turn" said the instructions  Roll Eyes. Niagra comes to Essex  Shocked.

Next job.... hmmm, well the whole bathroom is being refurb'd so I've a tad more tiling to do until I reach... dun-duh-dun-duh [Space Odyessy 2000 music]

T H E   S H O W E R

I've a little bit of re-work to do, as the mdf panel that is the side of the new airing cupboard and was going to be the end-wall of the shower. See separate post, but it's going to be Aquapanel now Wink

Then there's the new bath (offset corner) and basin  Undecided

When the bath finally goes in I can rip out the pipes that run behind the new toilet and bury them under the floorboards (it'll mean removing the pan temporarily). It's taken me about 3 years, oh apparently 5, to get to this stage!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2005, 8:40am

I'm mortified...  Sad

I've just noticed water peeing out under the cistern when it flushes....

...gotta go out now, but will check it out later  Embarrassed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2005, 9:27am

thats supposed to happen, thats how toilets work!!!

ok joking aside, is it a close coupled cistern(one that bolts directly to the pan) or a traditional type(with a flush pipe)

I'm guessing its a close coupled setup, check the doughnut washer is straight and dont tighten down "too" hard, these things are a bit of a pain in the ass, especially the foam type. Best getting a decent fat rubber one, as CPW often suggests...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2005, 6:48pm

Yeah, it is close coupled.

It's only when the "big flush" button is pressed, the smaller flush is okay.

I've read that its worth dropping the donut washer onto a bed of sanitary grade silicon, some more silicon on top of the donut, and then connecting up the head.***

Would you guys agree?

GAh... I am NOT looking forward to taking it all apart again to get at it  Angry

LOL! Just read your comment about CPW suggesting a big fat rubber one!!

*** what is the head part of the bog called? I keep going to call it the cistern, but isn't that the gubbins inside?
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2005, 6:48pm by Markos »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Re: My New Toilet! (Update: Has started leaking)
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2005, 7:31pm

Before you take it all apart just run your fingers around the interface(good word that Grin) of the pan and cistern and see if it is wet.

It might be the union between the pan and soil pipe, could be misaligned! Tongue
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2005, 7:42pm by Chaddy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2005, 10:56pm

i've had the bolts leak before too, bloody close couplers, give me a good old flush pipe any day! lol

The "tank" is called the cistern, the "gubbins" all have their own names

Ballcock (more precisely float valve)
Syphon (new regs mean these are often not there at all, as with your system)
Handle (if theres a syphon, or some types of...)
Flush Valve (if theres no syphon then theres one of these operated with the...)
Push Button(s)
sometimes you even get an.... Overflow stand pipe.

btk
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2005, 10:57pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2005, 11:14pm

I've spent ages with my head in the pan. Not because I was trying to fix the leak, but because I've had a monster hangover.

At 35 I should be able to take my beer, and normally I can, but I reckon the beer was off!!!

Still, having been in bed all day except to get up to throw up I'm just coming round again.

I haven't fixed the leaky cistern, but as luck would have it, I had placed some old towels under neath it before I went out. I say luck because by the time I got to use the toilet again (to throw up into) I couldn't have given a rats arse if it was leaking or not.

Oh well... never again!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2005, 3:42pm

Take note - close coupled cisterns.

If the bolts are steel (rather than nylon) I highly recommend a smear of grease (or maybe candle wax?) on the threads before tightening the wing nuts which pull the cistern onto the pan.

Reason being that I know from personal experience that the wing nuts weld themselves onto the steel bolts over a period of time via corrosion. And can then be impossible to release at some later point in time.

Basically you need to stop these bolt threads from corroding. Not sure if grease is the right solution but someone here will suggest the right option.

On a close-coupled cistern I did a while back I ended up having to grind off the wing nuts. Once I'd done that I found that the pan had cracked around the bolt, I think someone else had been there before me and used a bit too much welly.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2005, 7:08pm

I've taken the thing apart, and I've put silicone down on top of the donut and below it.

It's still leaking on the big flush. Small flush is ok.

I take my hat off to you pro's, I don't know how you plumbers remain in your jobs, this'd be enough to put me off such a career!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2005, 7:32pm

Use Plumbers Mait instead of silicone, as you say, before and after the donut washer.

Just lower the cistern onto the pan and tighten up wing nuts, then screw cistern to the wall, if you really need to tilt the cistern back to reach the wall then either your pan is too far forward or your walls and floor arent square. Whatever you do dont force the cistern back to the wall as this is a probable cause of the leak.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #13 - May 15th, 2005, 9:42pm

Cisterns I've seen in the past have wooden packing pieces to take up the gap between wall and cistern, not the cistern forced back to the wall.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2005, 12:20pm

keep at it markos, these are a total bastard, i wish they had never been invented. What kind of doughnut washer is it? a big black rubber one or a big grey foamy one? If it's a foam one go to B&Q and get a rubber one.

good luck...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2005, 2:21pm

The trouble you will have is that the cistern contains a flush valve not a syphon meaning that the donut washer isn't a standard size that you can get over the counter.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Markos

Computer says "no"...

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2005, 2:30pm

Indeed, it is a flush valve and the donut is more or less as thick as a womans finger - but rubber, deffo not foam.

I'm a bit busy with work so I keep putting the cistern off, but I'm going to try it with plumbers mait - when I get some Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print