Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 5:35pm
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cost of overboarding (Read 3387 times)
boatbodger

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

cost of overboarding
May 27th, 2005, 7:41pm

I hope someone can help. I need to have all my ceilings overboarded with 12.5 mm plasterboard for fire protection. The total area is about 950 sq. ft. in

I'm looking for a guide as to what it might cost to fix and skim, labour only.

TIA

Boatbodger

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: cost of overboarding
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2005, 7:46pm

Impossible to price without seeing it imho.  Is this in an empty house or is it in a house where you all live with carpets, furniture, budgie cage etc etc etc?

How many rooms does this 950sf include?

Hall/stairwell/landing?

Is there coving?

What about existing lighting, is it to stay?  If so can it be 'lowered' onto the new ceiling?

My first thought though is why do you need to fireproof all the ceilings to this standard?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

boatbodger

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2005, 9:02pm

Thanks JerryD,
                        The house can be cleared,  ceiling roses removed and fuses pulled.  Areas are 2 reception, 2 bedroom, 1 kitchen, 2 halls 15 x 3 ft. And 1 landing 15 x 6 ft. Total about 950.

Boatbodger

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2005, 9:30pm

depending who you get, between £1800 to £2800 labour only (+ vat possibly too)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2005, 7:54am

might be a bit steep that jerry, we are talking about 95 sq mtrs so at a tenner a square mtr and maybe more you should get the job done with ease in a week.
though spreads are certainly worth more theese days i do believe........... maybe i will have to up sticks and get back.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2005, 8:22am

I was calculating on what my spread charges me.  The two of them charge £450 a day labour (together) and I reckon this job was 4 - 5 days.  Don't forget the clearing up on a job like this, all wall splashes have to be removed (or walls protected) etc.  Not as straightforward as a new build.

This may seem high but that's what we have to pay around these here parts  Cheesy

I had a customer on the phone a while back trying to get quotes for a new kitchen floor screed (new extension).  Room was 12' x 12'.  Best labour only price she'd had was £800!  Not bad for half a day!

I also find that trades such as plasterers see a 'one-off' job such as this, as a chance to earn a few bob as they're never likely to get any more work there.  They price work differently for builders as they want repeat work.  Might seem unfair but that's how it is.  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

boatbodger

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2005, 11:13pm

Thanks very much for the info.

Boatbodger

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2005, 7:37pm

Jerry is of course right and if the spreads are busy a one off will be priced higher, if the demand is high the price will follw accordingly. That said I did a house back in January overboard two bedrooms ceilings, one landing and one bathroom ...tape and skim. Skim over artex of kitchen/ diner and sitting room started monday had friday off job done cost 1800 euro including materials that was a nice earner for four days for me seeing as it was the bad month of torrential rain, (inside work being welcome).............One of the reasons I left the U.K was because the plasterers were the worst paid of all the trades on site back then, how things have changed.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print