Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:11am
Quote: A rock --> me <-- A hard place

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laminate flooring in different directions (Read 3693 times)
rob_m

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Laminate flooring in different directions
Jun 3rd, 2005, 1:52pm

Hi all. I'm new in town.

I'm about to start laying QuickStep 950 flooring (the stuff with the v grooves down the side but not the ends) in the hall. The hall has 3 arms forming a T-shape.

I'd like to keep the direction of the boards along each part of the hall, but this means that I've got to have a change of direction for one of the arms (with me so far?).

I was considering a couple of options. The first is to use a profile to cover the join. Simple & effective, but not so good to look at.  Sad

The second idea I had was to join the boards together in a staggered point. I reckon with a bit of jiggery pokery with router I can get the various joints to lock together, assisted with some glue.  Undecided

The question is would this work? Or would differential expansion along the width and length of the boards pull it all to bits or leave me with an uneven floor?

Any comments gratefully received.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2005, 1:53pm by rob_m »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Laminate flooring in different directions
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2005, 8:21am

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum I think you can guess from the lack of replies that what you are suggesting is not going to be easy.

Your last question is the easiest to answer, as these boards are laminate on an MDF background you will not have any differential expansion to worry about, they will move equally along the length and across the width.

The easiest option is to keep all the boards in the same direction, get the straight run from the front door. I also think this would look best.

You could stagger the joint but IMHO it would look a mess as you can't chamfer the short edges to match the V down the long ones so you would have half the V one side with an unprotected square edge next to it which would chip within days. Also the boards are very thin and joining them would be difficult to say the least.

I definately wouldn't do it.

Keith
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2005, 8:23am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2005, 9:42am

Hi

Im with Keith on this one.  I would go for your first option and use a profile to cover the join with expansion gap under it.

I don't think the staggered join would look as good unless you got it spot on and you would still have the problem Woodsmith explained.

Just my opinion

Jase
Coggy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rob_m

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2005, 9:50am

Thanks for the advice gents.  Smiley After a weekend of quiet reflection without the smell of cordite I'd reached a similar conclusion.

Am leaning towards laying the boards as a continuous floor, so they will have to go across one of the arms of the hall. I'm not entirely happy about putting an expansion joint across an area of high traffic. I had to do something similar in a previous house and the kids using it as a jump for their corgi cars shredded it.  Roll Eyes

Rob

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2005, 11:45am

i as jase and keith  would expect Grin i agree with them

about the expansion what is the total length of each leg !!!!!!!!
you need about 3 or 4mm expansion per 1 m so imagine the "T" as a square room then work out the clearence required

this only a rough guide as i have never seen the specific laminate you mention

you can if the area is small get away without a strip
if its larger you can lay it but you are risking expansion problens

now if your fairly good with your tools you can lay it complete and when [if]it lifts cut out an 8mm expansion gap and cover with a screw down strip
having said that if you try a blade to cut youll need to wedge it open as you cut to stop it binding

good luck
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2005, 6:01pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print