Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 6:13pm
Quote: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Render (Read 3382 times)
Jona

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Render
Jun 20th, 2005, 9:56am

hi all new to this site and new to all this manual labor stuff. i have got to do some rendering on my house (EXT)  Sad so just wanted to know mixes i was told 3:1 with a bit of lime in it is this correct or is there a better mix to use
thanks to all who reply Grin
Jona..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Render
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2005, 6:46pm

Hmmmmm, if you don't even know the correct mix, how do you intend to put it on the wall without devaluing your house by thousands of pounds?

Rendering is a time learnt skill, you can't learn it on a forum.

There are two coats to a render btw, one has to be moisture resistant.  There are stainless beads to consider as a bell drip and over window heads.

There is just so much to know, only spending time with an experienced guy will point you in the right direction.  I have been a builder for 30 years and NO WAY would I render ANYTHING.  I get a guy in.  He can render the outside of a large extension in a couple of days so why do it yourself?

Not trying to be a smart-ass here, but it's much more difficult than it looks.

I'm sure someone will be along in a while to tell you exactly how to do it but 'on your head be it'....... (and it probably will be)  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jona

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2005, 8:10pm

there isnt that much to do, not doing a whole wall or anything just a corner where we moved a door just wanted to know if i was given the right info or not

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2005, 11:02pm

If its only a small area why risk making a bad job of it????????????????

Jerry is right it is an extremely difficult job that is made to look very easy by the guys who know what their doing.

if you make a hash of it the cost repairing will far exceed the cost of getting it done in the first place Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

but hey someone might pop along with the mix and some instructions so best of luck if you go for it

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2005, 1:56am

And along he comes!!! the mix would be 4 sand 1 cement and a half shovel of hydrated lime using plastering sand.
Will agree fully with Jerry and scotsparks comments and will add that there is nothing that looks more awfull than a poor spot of rendering when trying to patch in. For the size then of the job why not get in a spread that can feather in nicely to the existing... if hes good you will never see the joint.... done badly it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

drill_driver

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2005, 10:28pm

Robbo.Wouldn`t you use waterproofer in the undercoat?Then 4 to 1 and lime for the top coat.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2005, 6:01pm

Waterproofer in the floatng coat only DD unless you want the float to not take up as quickly if say you have a big wall or if the finish is a dry dash... then lots of w.p.
Nice to see you over here dd Kiss
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2005, 6:02pm by ROBBO »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

drill_driver

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2005, 8:15pm

hello again robbo mate.Only just discovered this site. can`t get the hang of these taggy thingys. No use with computers at all.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print