Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 5:03pm
Quote: Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Filling taper edge plasterboard joints (Read 8778 times)
Pineman
GDPR opt-out

Filling taper edge plasterboard joints
Jun 29th, 2005, 12:23pm

I'm shortly going to construct an ensuite shower room in my bedroom.  I intend to use 50mm x 75mm softwood studwork framing, with 12.5mm plasterboard lining.  I want to avoid plastering, so will use taper edge plasterboard, but I've never tried this technique before (I've always used square edge plasterboard and skimmed).
Please could you give me some basic advice on joint filling techniques for taper edge plasterboard?  Also, how do I deal with any cut sheet of plasterboard, where the taper edge has been cut off?  Do I just crush the cut edge a bit to create a taper?
And how do I fill an external corner?
Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Re: Filling taper edge plasterboard joints
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2005, 11:03pm

[quote author=Pineman  link=1120044203/0#0 date=1120044203]Also, how do I deal with any cut sheet of plasterboard, where the taper edge has been cut off?  Do I just crush the cut edge a bit to create a taper?
And how do I fill an external corner? [/quote]

Cut the boards so that the  taper edges but up to each other. You'll get more wastage than with square edged boards though. For external corners use thin skim beading and spread the caulking up to it.

IP Logged

Pineman
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2005, 9:23am

Thanks, Jon, but I don't understand how I can do that with a cut sheet.  If I've cut off one of the taper edges to make the sheet narrower, then the cut edge won't have a taper on it to butt up to the next sheet.
How do I deal with this?
Thanks again.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2005, 6:36pm

Put the cut edge against the return wall (internal corner) or up against a door lining.

You can cut a chamfer with a stanley knife or get a special plane if you have to join square ends.

Buy your boards long enough to go floor to ceiling then you will only have vertical joints to do.

Use regularized timber or CLS as it will give a more even surface to screw the boards to.

Fibre glass tape is a lot easier to use than the paper tape, Gyproc easyfill is what I use to fill with, get a proper mud pan, 8" taping knife and drywall sander.

Some useful tools

Jason

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2005, 11:03pm

Just to emphasise that easi fill is the best product to use, much better than the ready mixed. Also investing in the Marshaltown little black jointing knife is a must.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print