Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 8:34pm
Quote: The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new doorway (Read 2216 times)
peteg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

new doorway
Jun 29th, 2005, 8:41pm

hi guys can you help please. i'am half way through converting my garage. i have building regs and so forth . but a friend has just been roung and says i have to have permission to cut a doorway through from the garage into my hall way is this true, as this was never mentioned in the building regs. the house is detached with a linked garage. thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: new doorway
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2005, 8:57pm

Hi peteg.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do with the garage.  You say you are 'converting' it.  What from and what into and what Regs do you have?

In other words, what are you going to build?

This will help me answer your question about the doorway through.

If the garage is to stay as a garage then there are special rules regarding firedoors, closers, thresholds, step ups etc.

More info please  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

peteg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2005, 5:56pm

hi jerry we have a building notice application to change the garage into a room (playroom).then split the garage into two to use as a utility room,therefore we have no acess at the back of the garage anymore ,so we will require a new doorway off the hallway leading into the garage. thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2005, 6:38pm

Quote:
we have a building notice application to change the garage into a room (playroom).then split the garage into two to use as a utility room

If you've already changed the garage into a playroom then you mean split the playroom into two? If it's no longer a garage for storing a car then usually things are easier.

I believe all rooms must have two means of escape from fire so if any of the new rooms don't have a window you might have a problem.

You said you had a made a "building notice application" but has Building Control commented or actually approved your plans? If you are changing an approved set of planes then best submit a change.

or just ask them for a site visit?
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2005, 6:43pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print