Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 4:14pm
Quote: The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phones buggered (Read 4429 times)
blackcountry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

phones buggered
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:33am

hello all.
O.K i have 3 telephone sockets that have been wired from the master phone socket installed by bt. I also have broadband (also bt) and have accordingly put a microfilter on each of the phone sockets. now everthing was fine for a couple of months with both the phones and internet working fine. however yesterday all the phones off the main socket stopped working, no dial tone, nothing. upon further investigation i found that if i disconnect the microfilter at the socket where the internet lead connects then the phones work but no internet. not ideal. anyone got any ideas. hope i've made myself clear, its late and i'm knackered. let me know if somethings not clear.
cheers.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Re: phones buggered
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2005, 12:37am

try a different filter in the  primery incase you have a multi fault or the filter your using is at fault

you can also detach the maximum connections possible and when youve got both working connect things one at a time checking if they work as you go

i had a fault a few months ago no phone computer worked[broadband] couldnt work it out
it wasnt the connection by the computer it was the filter in the bedroom [only connected to a phone]
so the  problem may not be that obvious
so i assume that if a remote fillter can affect the phone a remote fillter may also affect the internet
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 12:52am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2005, 4:32am

you only need a filter on the socket which supplies the broadband, i.e the one the computer is linked to.

sounds like that one is buggered, try using a different filter in that socket.(if you can read this!)

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005, 10:01am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1124235198/0#2 date=1124249569]you only need a filter on the socket which supplies the broadband, i.e the one the computer is linked to. [/quote]

Er, no. You  need a filter on every socket except the one that supplies broadband. The filters are required for every analogue device, telehones, alarms, fax machines, Sky boxes etc... The ADSL modem doesn't need a filter. It is commonly only used an adapter as the modem comes with RJ11 to RJ11 leads which won't fit directly into the BT socket.

Sounds like the filters had it, would they be the cheapo ones that come free with the modems? Some of them don't last that long. I'd advise the ADSL Nation XTF or the XF-1e as replacements. These will be far superior to pretty much anyones dangly filters. Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 10:03am by Lurch »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005, 8:53pm

[quote author=Lurch  link=1124235198/0#3 date=1124269276]

Er, no. You  need a filter on every socket except the one that supplies broadband. The filters are required for every analogue device, telehones, alarms, fax machines, Sky boxes etc... The ADSL modem doesn't need a filter. It is commonly only used an adapter as the modem comes with RJ11 to RJ11 leads which won't fit directly into the BT socket.

[/quote]

Well, I never knew that!  In my home office I have a dedicated fax line from which I take my adsl.  There is a filter on that socket.

So you are saying that if I extended this line to another room, I would need a filter on that extension BT socket even if just a phone was connected?
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:53pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005, 10:16pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1124235198/0#4 date=1124308413]

Well, I never knew that!  In my home office I have a dedicated fax line from which I take my adsl.  There is a filter on that socket.

So you are saying that if I extended this line to another room, I would need a filter on that extension BT socket even if just a phone was connected?
[/quote]

yes unless the extension already goes through a filter

otherwise you pick the phone up and the internet connection is terminated

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Village_Idiot
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2005, 10:51pm

does anyone know about these new front plates for the master socket with the filter built in, from what i gather it does away with all the other filters

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2005, 11:35pm

[quote author=Village_Idiot  link=1124235198/0#6 date=1124315481]does anyone know about these new front plates for the master socket with the filter built in, from what i gather it does away with all the other filters [/quote]

I fit them all the time. There are 2 types, the normal and modified, both available at Clarity. The normal ones allow the ADSL modem to be only connected at the master socket position unless you run a seperate pair to the master socket and then terminate those onto an RJ45 plug and stick it in the front.

The modified ones have a seperate pair of terminals on the back for the unfiltered pair so you can run a seperate pair around the sockets and connect up an ADSL modem wherever you like.

Personally, I'd go for the modified version even if you have the modem next to the master socket. If you move it in the future you have the option to run another pair from the master socket to wherever you move the modem to.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2005, 9:52pm

Anybody found any of this info useful? Anyone fixed their phones thanks to the advice given?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:19pm

[quote author=Lurch  link=1124235198/0#8 date=1124657527]Anybody found any of this info useful? Anyone fixed their phones thanks to the advice given? [/quote]

NO........but then my phones work fine!!!! Lol Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print