Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 10:40am
Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outside plastering....? (Read 2022 times)
wotamess
GDPR opt-out

Outside plastering....?
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:31am

I have to make good some plasterwork in an outside passageway ceiling( backtoback house) after installing new pipework for a wc etc.
The old plaster was held in place with laths and I have had to remove some of this to gain access for the work involved.
Can I now use plasterboard fixed to the now exposed joists to patch the missing plaster and then skim...and if so, is there a specific type of plaster/plasterboard for outside use?
Many thanks for any advice.. Undecided

IP Logged

Kirklees_Plaster

Owt 2do wi plaster & me
ears spring up

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Outside plastering....?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2005, 8:39pm

Hi 'Wota'

When you say outside, do you mean 'outside' as in exposed to the air and not inside? If so then ordinary plaster is NOT the thing to use, as plaster is an indoor material.

If it is outside, fill in the cracks as best as you can and skim over with cement. Do this to as many coats as it takes to level off.

You could then finish it off with a coat of outdoor or masonry paint, as cement wash on buildings get dirty after a year and looks bloody terrible [my own point of view].

Kirk
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005, 9:08am by Kirklees_Plaster »  

DJ - Plasterer in Kirklees [West Yorkshire]
Thank User For This Post dj_wyorks  
IP Logged

wotamess
Re: Outside plastering....?
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 9:36am

...sorry for delay..the ceiling in question is in a through passage adjoining a backtoback house...the weather does not seem to have any effect...
I have noticed the rest of the ceiling is actually patched with what looks like normal plaster and I have found some plasterboard at the point where I need to repair...I therefore assume that I can go ahead and use these materials to finish the job!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print