Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 1:41pm
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
underpining (Read 2491 times)
karl40

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

underpining
Aug 19th, 2005, 8:31pm

recently bought a 1 bed end of terrace cottage, with a large cellar and thought of converting the cellar into a extra room. had a few qoutations from builders and went for the mid priced quote.

Because the cieling hight was low they suggested that the floor was lowered about 2ft, and i agreed the extra cost.

However after a few hours of digging they said that they had encounterd a problem, and, the walls would require underpining. They said that it would'nt be a big problem as they had experience of this kind of work and would give a quote. After a couple of days they came back with a quote that it would cost an additional £1000 to carry out the work, which i thought was reasonable.

A couple of days ago i bumped into an old friend who has worked in the building trade, and I was egar to show him round my new project.  When he saw the work he was shocked and horrified at what he saw.

He explained that he saw a few problems that concerned him

1) that the excavation should be both from inside the cellar and on the outside of the building, whereas my buiders  have only done it from the inside.

2) the width of the concrete sections should be 2 and a half times the width of the stonework whereas my builders have finished the concrete slabs flush with the face of the stonework

3) That they shoud be using some type of steel rods, which i can see no evidence of.

My friend recomends that the work is stoped imediatly and i Inform building control.

Im a bit perplexed by all of this and would like your oppinion on what I should do next

thanks guys.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: underpining
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2005, 9:18pm

[quote author=karl40  link=1124479902/0#0 date=1124479902]

1) that the excavation should be both from inside the cellar and on the outside of the building, whereas my buiders  have only done it from the inside.   [/quote]

The excavation is normally done just from the outside but as this is a cellar then excavation from just the inside is what I would expect.

Quote:
2) the width of the concrete sections should be 2 and a half times the width of the stonework whereas my builders have finished the concrete slabs flush with the face of the stonework

I don't understand what you mean.   Are 'concrete sections' the new underpin concrete foundations? Is 'stonework' the house walls? Are 'concrete slabs' the new underpin concrete foundations?  What do you mean by  "have finished the concrete slabs flush with the face of the stonework?

Can you post a sketch?

Quote:
3) That they shoud be using some type of steel rods, which i can see no evidence of.

Each underpinning concrete section should be linked to the next one by steel reinforcing bars.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2005, 10:40pm

Question for JerryD....  Should building control have been given drawings to approve before work started or is that just new houses?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2005, 11:15pm

The whole project should have been submitted to Building Control before the work commenced.  All foundations (even underpinning) need approval from the BCO.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 4:23am

Here in the states permits have to be pulled when it comes to major strctural renovations. engineering should be involved. if permits are pulled the escavation goes in stages and inspectors inspect as you go along so you as a consumer are protected. By all means stop and have it inspected. if you are worried about your safety of your home then so be it. call yopur city inspector.a.s.a.p. jack hammering 2 feet of concrete inside can cause more damage than you know. Your friend is absolutely right. concrete slabs have to be a certain thickness for many reasons with steel reenforcements and if those are not used then you concrete slab is weaken. it can cause things lile slooping with ground settlement etc. slab and walls to crack after a period of time, ask the person you hired for his lic cordentials and the permits he pulled. if he cant produce either one. give him the boot
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2005, 4:30am by sailfishoney »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print