Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 5:08pm
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bloody Computers (Read 8371 times)
thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Bloody Computers
Aug 31st, 2005, 9:56pm

Have a laugh on me guys.

Saturday the hard drive crashes (bad sector) and won't re-boot out of recovery mode.  Embarrassed

After several hours a re-install is the only option and 200,000 files and folder fly off into cyberspace.   Embarrassed

2500 boiler manuals, 500 email address, all me work pics the lot  Embarrassed

Ok so 80% is backed up on the other computers, but can you imagine how long thats going to take to transfer  Embarrassed

Anyways, goes off to PC World and buys another laptop on Monday £900 quid  Cry

Spent the rest of monday and Tuesday night installing software etc, and the bloody thing won't read DVD drive  Embarrassed

Back to shop today and says to the guy sort that out, 8hours later I go back he says there's something wrong with it, have another new one. Embarrassed

Ok so this time I haven't lost too much but now I got to start all over again.  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Re: Bloody Computers
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:00pm

It's your own fault for shopping at PC World, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:16pm

Why they don't make them, Hewlett Packard do.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:32pm

Still no sympathy, PC World, end of.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:41pm

[quote author=Lurch  link=1125521785/0#1 date=1125525634]It's your own fault for shopping at PC World, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. [/quote]

lurch youve forgoten the smillies on your posts Grin Grin Grin Grin
i take it you dont like p c world  Shocked Shocked Shocked

i personaly dont have a clue and hints  as to where not to shop or where to shop would be handy Grin Grin Wink

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:49pm

Best to buy pc's direct.  I've had Dell and currently have four Evesham's in the house (me, wife and 2 kids).

Same with peripherals, always buy online/direct.  Just bought a D-Link 4 port usb hub, ordered online and it arrived next day.  Loads cheaper than PCW too.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2005, 11:57pm

personally we tend to use a local  vendor who build the pcs themselves for complete pcs (though i didn't for my laptop)

for pc bits accessories etc i either order online or buy in a variety of shops depending on how important it is to have it fast and if i wan't to actually see stuff before i buy it.

Theres also a nice vendor in manchester called morgan who do end of line/surpluss pc stock that we have bought some stuff from before.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2005, 12:01am

[quote author=thescruff  link=1125521785/0#0 date=1125521784]
After several hours a re-install is the only option and 200,000 files and folder fly off into cyberspace.   Embarrassed [/quote]
sounds like you have no idea how to get data off a system that won't boot windows properly and not know anyone who does. (hint: www.knopper.net/knoppix)

also a reinstall done properly shouldn't wipe out all your data do you mean you used one of those shitty recovery cds that big brands ship (a good reason to avoid big brand computers imo)

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2005, 12:13am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1125521785/0#7 date=1125529282]
sounds like you have no idea how to get data off a system that won't boot windows properly and not know anyone who does. (hint: www.knopper.net/knoppix)

also a reinstall done properly shouldn't wipe out all your data do you mean you used one of those shitty recovery cds that big brands ship (a good reason to avoid big brand computers imo) [/quote]

Your right Plugwash I'm certainly not an expert on computers, but in this case the dics was cracked, even the experts couldn't recover it, ok there was a way to retrieve some of the data but at a cost, and as most is backed up on other computers the recovery plus a new hard drive = a new laptop  Undecided

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2005, 2:23am

erm you said it was a bad sector and said a reinstall was possible that doesn't sound like a dead drive to me.

IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2005, 4:52am

[quote author=big_all  link=1125521785/0#4 date=1125528071]i take it you dont like p c world  Shocked Shocked Shocked [/quote]

Shower of bastards, the lot of 'em.

Avoid PC World, Staples, Currys, Comet, Dixons etc...

Go to Dabs, Scan, Insight and a couple of other online retailers.

If you're struggling, Ebuyer and Dell have their moments. Wink

Not exactly a definitive list but that works for me.

[quote author=plugwash  link=1125521785/0#7 date=1125529282]
sounds like you have no idea how to get data off a system that won't boot windows properly and not know anyone who does. (hint: www.knopper.net/knoppix [/quote]

That one's in my collection of essential CD's to carry around, along with the latest versions of AdAware SE, SpywareBlaster, AVG, Avast4Home, Austrumi and Firefox. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2005, 6:39pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1125521785/0#9 date=1125537813]erm you said it was a bad sector and said a reinstall was possible that doesn't sound like a dead drive to me. [/quote]

It was a bad secter that caused the problem, but it spread every time you re-booted.

Hell I'm a plumber not an expert on the things so probably got it all wrong anyway  Undecided

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2005, 6:45pm

It was probably your master RAID usb port conflicting with the RAM.  This can cause defragmentation of your processor causing a memory surge up the rom pipe.

Simple  Roll Eyes

Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005, 6:46pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2005, 6:47pm

Yeah, mine did that once so I just temporarily redirected the ROM pipe towards the exhaust fan and it cleared itself in 10 minutes. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2005, 11:25pm

I had a similar hard drive failure about a year ago. Decided it was time to sort out a better backup scheme.

The wife and I have out own PC so I set up Norton Ghost to image each PC into a folder/partition on the other PC every night. It takes about 45 mins to image and verify each driver over a simple LAN.

I set it up to:

a) split the image in to 600MByte chunks - so I can copy the backup to CD or DVD if I need to.

b) keep the last 7 nightly and 1 weekly backup and delete the rest automatically - that way the drives never fill up.

c) send me an email when it's done. That way I never  have to check the log files to see if it worked or failed.

Its been running for a year and once set up its the simplest system I've found. You never have to remember to do anythng except leave it switched on.

The risk is that a major power surge could take out both PC so the ocasional DVD copy still has to be made but if you keep putting that off at least you have a backup on a second HD.

IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:33am

Mine's even easier than that, all the important stuff is stored on the SUSE server and that all gets backed up to DVD, or possibly one day, tape.

Also means I can reinstall machines to my hearts content as none of them have any critical data on them.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 1:50pm

mines even easier than that, i dont back up anything!

if my windows/linux box dies on me it gets re-installed with a nice fresh flavour.

I have nothing important I need to back up from my computers, hell it comes in handy at tax return time when a couple of invoices/receipts go missing! lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print