Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 4:33am
Quote: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fall on waste pipe. (Read 2993 times)
Timmo

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Fall on waste pipe.
Sep 5th, 2005, 5:22pm

According to document H1 of the approved documents, for an unventilated waste pipe from a WC a fall of between 18 and 90mm/m is required. However, reading further on to page 10 section 1.20 states the following: If the figures in Table 2 and Diagram 3 are exceeded the branch pipe should be ventilated by a branch ventilating pipe to external air, to a
ventilating stack (ventilated branch system) or internally by use of an air admittance valve.
So is 18mm the absolute minimum or for example is 12mm acceptable provided the pipe is ventilated? It appears a bit grey as there are no details in H1 for ventilated pipes.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Fall on waste pipe.
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2005, 9:37pm

My copy of H1 (1992 edition) gives the figure for a WC branch as a minimum of 9mm per metre. The maximum branch length (unventilated) is 6 metres. Perhaps you should have another look at your copy.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Fall on waste pipe.
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2005, 7:22am

I think the bit about "if the figures are exceeded" is referring to the maximium fall not the minimum.

My understanding is that if the fall is too steep the flow can suck the water out of the U-bend. Thats why the solution is to ventilate the pipe.

If you are under the minimum then the flow rate isn't fast enough to keep the pipe clean and it's prone to blockage.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print