Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 3:49am
Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Securing taps question... (Read 3027 times)
wotamess
GDPR opt-out

Securing taps question...
Sep 20th, 2005, 5:24pm

..just fitting new suite and have found the taps have a plastic nut and rubber washer.
Where is the washer placed - under the tap or with the plastic nut? I assume the nut cannot be tightened too much!
I have placed the washer under the tap for now but even though I have secured the nut, the tap is still able to move a little. What happened to the brass nuts that used to be available?..also I remember filling the hollow nuts (top hats!) with plumbers mait...is this not used now?
..also there is no colour markings on the taps to indicate hot or cold...anybody know why?

Thanks for any feedback..

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Securing taps question...
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2005, 9:53pm

get some nylon washers for the underside between the basin and the tap backnut if its not tightening, and yes be careful not to overtighten or "SNAP" go the nuts.(¾ top hats if its the bath taps) I dont know why they dont supply them with the taps, a question I have asked myself a hundred times when I go to tighten on the basin taps, followed by a run to B&Q usually! lol If you can get hold of some brass backnuts it would be in your interests.

There are no markings on the taps because thats just the style you have, taps are mostly all of the same type these days(hot used to have a "floating" jumper inside and cold didn't, or was that the other way round... anyhow they are mostly all of the fixed type now)so it's up to you what side you put them on.

btk
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005, 9:53pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wotamess
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2005, 12:07pm

Thanks btk..but why are top hats used?..what function do they perform..are they necessary?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2005, 3:33pm

they stop the taps moving! lol

also when removing taps it can make things a bit easier, as well as holding the nut further from the rim to get yer tools on. you could use a regular nylon washer instead, top hat washers are just the "done thing".

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147