Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 4:00pm
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiling preparation (Read 2714 times)
Raptor
GDPR opt-out

Tiling preparation
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:00pm

Iam going to tile the kitchen and dining room floors with ceramic tiles.The floors are bare concrete (about 9 years old),the dining room is carpeted and the kitchen has vinyl tiles.I know i will have to remove all the adhesive from under the vinyl tiles but what do i then do to the bare concrete.The rapid set adhesive mentions the dreaded PVA word ,do i follow this advice?Thanks.

IP Logged

graham555
GDPR opt-out

Re: Tiling preparation
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005, 9:49pm

Yes you are better sealing the floor with PVA so that when you apply the adhesive the moisture is not sucked out of the mix to give it time to set properly.

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2005, 10:29pm

Check the instructions for preparation on your adhesive. Follow them to the letter and you'll be fine.

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2005, 10:49pm

I'm a decorator not a tiler, but I thought it might be a good idea to screed the concrete floor or line it with ply before laying tiles.  Undecided

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2005, 11:47pm

Thanks for the replies,i will follow the advice on the adhesive,it is a lovely flat concrete floor all the way through both rooms and i don`t think it will be necessary to screed it.I have done a fair bit of wall tiling but have allways used redimixed adhesive and this rapid set stuff is totally different. Thanks.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2005, 9:21am

Not telling you how to suck eggs but mix up a little at a time, as the name suggests it goes off pretty quickly:Smiley Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print