Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 6:32am
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Walls and Flooding (Read 1197 times)
C4zza

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Old Walls and Flooding
Nov 25th, 2005, 9:29am

I recently moved into a basement flat that was converted about 2 years ago, the building itself is over 100 years old, and some of the walls in the flat are the orginal walls.  Recently I flooded my kitchen, over the last 2 months, brown marks have appeared on the wall in the kitchen and the walll between the kitchen and the hall...  I have been told to leave it to dry out which I am doing, however at the bottom of the hall wall that is damaged, I removed an old phone cable, and where the nails holding the cable go into the wall, the holes have appeared black, and the area around it about a cm, has become rather flakey....  Is there anything I can do to fix this or is the best thing to leave the wall to dry out completely.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Old Walls and Flooding
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005, 7:38pm

The reason you have had no replies I guess is because it is difficult/impossible to give much advice without seeing the problem.

If you are concerned, perhaps because there was previous damp which this has exacerbated then you need to get some on the spot advice. Not quite sure who would be best to ask, so many firms have vested interests. Perhaps a building surveyor? but they are not always much use.

Otherwise the only thing I can suggest is that you need to get the place dried out, and I would borrow/hire a dehumidifier as my first priority, get the place warm and leave it running until it doesn't collect much water.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2005, 7:39pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print