Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 2:34pm
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Plaster - Repair or Remove? (Read 1890 times)
Renovator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Old Plaster - Repair or Remove?
Nov 27th, 2005, 10:10am

Hi there

Hoping for some advice, as I have had 2 possible solutions from different plasterers.

I am renovating a 1930's property (groan).  Stripping back the wallpaper has revealed significant cracking to the skim coat (I think this might date back to the mid-60's, when it appears the house was rewired), under which are lath & plaster walls.  Some of these areas have movement, but others appear reasonably sound.  There has been previous filling of the cracks, which in places is now falling away.

My philosophy is 'do it once and do it well' so after a reasonably bullet-proof solution that won't store up problems for the future...

Thoughts ?  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Re: Old Plaster - Repair or Remove?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2005, 10:31am

Repair or remove Quote:
My philosophy is 'do it once and do it well' so after a reasonably bullet-proof solution that won't store up problems for the future...  

I think you've answered your own question there mate.

I once had a 1930's place myself and the only solution for a decent job was to strip back to bare brick and start again. Verrryyyy messy!!
But there was a lot of "dead" plaster.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2005, 11:37am

yep, personly id rip it all off back to the lath and put plasterboard on over it, or rip the lath off and plasterboard it!

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2005, 2:28pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1133086207/0#2 date=1133091460]yep, personly id rip it all off back to the lath and put plasterboard on over it, or rip the lath off and plasterboard it!
ss [/quote]

Yes, best way is to remove all the lathes and all those little nails then fix plasterboard and plaster.

(you may need a skip!)  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2005, 2:29pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print