Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 6:02pm
Quote: Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up - Jesse Jackson

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Computer rouge dialers + huge bills... (Read 6039 times)
Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Computer rouge dialers + huge bills...
Dec 15th, 2005, 8:23pm

I posted a long while back saying I had been the victim of a rouge dialler.  These diallers get installed on your machine by remote computers while you surf the net.  They then 'activate' and dial upto the internet via premium rate numbers.

As I had broadband, I was totally unaware that these calls where taking place - I should have disconnected the modem, but was still using it for fax's.

I had a bill in the region of £200 from BT.  This was due to the dialler, and BT would not refund.  The are not responsible for premium rate numbers, and only recieve a tiny percent of the money - the connection charge.

BT did however give me the contact details of the company who had swindled me.........located in spain.

This was almost 12months ago, and I have been in contact with the said company monthly by POSTAL LETTER - they will not communicate by phone or email.

The have been most avaisive over the matter, but I assume began to get pi55ed off with the letters..........AND HAVE PAYED ME BACK WHAT IS OWED!!!

I want to stress to anyone else who has been unfortunate enough to suffer these diallers - stick with it, keep the correspondence up, don't let them win!!!!!!

They have paid me back in full, the only way they would was with several photo copied bills/documents etc, and a special international transfer number from my bank.  I supplied all of these time and time again, and they have finally paid!  The only thing is, my bank charge me £4 for the transfer Angry  I am not going to go chasing that - im happy with what I have got!

I have ensured my bank have kept copies of my correspndence with the company, and have had the bank sign them, and write a covering letter.  This was purely as I was very dubious of giving out details of my account to spain, even thought the details I gave can only be used to pay in, not withdraw.

I hope others will read this, and realise they can succeed against the con-men!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

PowerTool
Re: Computer rouge dialers + huge bills...
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005, 8:48pm

Good advice,glad you got it sorted.
As soon as I went broadband,the phone line connection got unplugged - my anti adware/spyware still finds them from time to time,but they can't actually dial anything  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2005, 7:40pm

Was that wise... I mean this shady outfit in spain now has your address, your bank account details, copies of utility bills and samples of your autograph.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2005, 10:06pm

That's what I was thinking but I didn't like to say. I wouldn't even let them know I existed, never mind send them hate mail!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2005, 9:05am

They have my old office address - we recently moved industrial units Wink

All copies of bills only showed what was neccessary, all though, yes, they have my name.

The bank details I gave, I was assured by the bank where only able to be used to pay in funds - I did make sure the bank kept a record - as I did.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005, 12:12am

This got me thinking....

I wonder if people who use their broadband connection to make SKYPE calls are also vunerable? Skype and similar VOIP services can also dial landlines. I guess it might be possible to write a rogue dialer that used your Sype connection to dial a premium rate landline number.

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Computer rogue dialers + huge bills...
Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2005, 12:23am

I'm sure the crackers are working on it as we speak CW, if it's not already in some trojans.

Also just found this which makes nice reading along with some of the links from that page.

btk
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 12:33am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2005, 12:07pm

Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

In my new house I'm planning to set up one of these routers...
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2500v.html

It allows an ordinary phone (eg our DECT cordless system) to make calls using either the broadband connection or the regular phone line. No need for a PC like Skype. You can switch between the two systems just by prefixing the phone number with *0. Incoming calls by either route cause the phone to ring.

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 12:09pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2005, 7:34pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1134678197/0#5 date=1135037575]
This got me thinking....

I wonder if people who use their broadband connection to make SKYPE calls are also vunerable? Skype and similar VOIP services can also dial landlines. I guess it might be possible to write a rogue dialer that used your Sype connection to dial a premium rate landline number. [/quote]
sure its possible but a lot of theese services are prepay based so like stealing a prepay mobile people can only use the credit thats on the account.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2005, 6:21pm

Hi guys, at the moment i have had to use my laptop for this, and login (remembering passwords yuck!!)

as this thread is about adware etc,   just to let you guys know, there is an ADWARE started doing the rounds, got it on my main compy yesterday after going to the TALK TALK site, it was sitting there lurking behind it, according to the SYMANTIC PEOPLE!! (eh??)  the upshot of it is, that NORTON, McAFEE, ADS-AWARE, SPY-BOT ETC ETC  they all missed it!!!! Symantic DO know about it and are trying to work a solution for it..... But  it has totally screwed up my computer!!  all it does it change your www.home address to theirs  trying to get you to buy from them software , you just can not re-direct away from it!!  it just keeps turning on my Browser at their site!!
my IT guy Gary has been trying all afternoon to find it with in the murky depth of my compy, but cannot find it!!  not so far anyway, he has found out it is called " ADWARE LEFEAT ...IN ....IE5\49KZCJGF\ENTER[1].cab... and as he states, the damn thing is invisible!!
SO BE CAREFULL !!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! Angry Angry

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print