Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 5:14pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chimney Breast Removal (Read 10524 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Chimney Breast Removal
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:02am

My son has been persuaded by his future in-laws to remove the chimney breast.  Future FIL and also BIL have removed them in similar houses on the same ('50's) development with allegedly no problems.  I have urged caution but think he will go ahead. NB: Neither of these folk are builders by trade or training.

His future FIL removed one up to just above first floor ceiling level and used a a timber lintel(?) under the remaining chimney [that still carried on through the roof].  He claimed that many years after there had been no movement of the remaining bit of chimney as he was able to move the wedges he had put in place between bricks and the timber.

It worries the hell out of me and I have done a bit of DIY wall removal in the past but was always wary of chimneys.

Any advice really welcome.  Thankfully he lives about 10 miles away so I will not be hit, unless visiting, should it fall ???

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Chimney Breast Removal
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2006, 10:18am

no builder but

if you can remove the wedges its not supporting anything

also believe the support should be fairly constant accross the width off the chimney and back towards the wall as in corbled or gallows brackets

if it was wedges tight what is the wooden beam resting on!!!!!

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2006, 10:23am

[quote author=big_all  link=1138615324/0#1 date=1138616332]

if it was wedges tight what is the wooden beam resting on!!!!! [/quote]
The ceiling joists!

I agree that it would be better if it was to be corbelled or gallows bracketed but from how his future father in law has suggested it will be cut back at right angles to the wall.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2006, 10:25am by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2006, 7:09pm

It's like a lot of things in life, you can get away with it for years but suddenly........................

If it was my house I would definately do it properly.  Ye Gods, a bit of timber wedged off the joists to support a chimney, are they mad!

No way in a million years would I do anything like that.

This type of thing is an insult to cowboys!

rant over  Lips Sealed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2006, 7:39pm

Have to agree with you Jerry but he did not listen.  His future brother in law turned up and before you could say Gerry Builder Grin the chimney breast between floor and ceiling of bedroom was gone ???

Think I will wear a hard hat when I next visit.  Oh and my partner has asked if I mind her increasing the insurance policy she has on me Smiley  Insurance policy?  What blasted policy Shocked
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:40pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2006, 7:48pm

They thought that ice rink in Germany was safe until about a month a ago.  Sad

They thought that building in Poland was safe until yesterday.  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2006, 11:25am

Is this in a terrace or semi? It might be fine until the neighbours do the same. Then you have several tons of brick perched on a few floor joists of dubious vintage.

I guess he's too young to have seen that episode of "Some mothers do 'av 'em" where Frank moves house.

PS Can we have a scared or horrified smiley please?

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2006, 12:08pm

I forgot a few things...

You do need Building Control Approval to take down a chimney breast. If it's on a party wall you also need to comply with the Party Wall Act.  

and when they fall down they actually fall over and take the wall and roof with them...

Some googling reveals it's the third most common cause of building collapse...

http://www2.halton.gov.uk/content/environment/planning/buildingcontrolconsultanc...

Quote:
Our surveyors have found that the most common causes of collapse are:-

*Removal of lateral restraint to walls.
*Failure of over-stressed piers.
*Inadequate support to chimney breasts.

http://www.lawteacher.net/Contract/Contents/Exclusion%20Clauses%20Cases.htm

Quote:
The surveyor negligently failed to check that a chimney breast which had been removed was properly supported. When the chimney collapsed the plaintiff sued the valuer.

http://www.glias.org.uk/news/195news.html

Quote:
Building collapses

Considerable disruption resulted following the partial collapse of a Victorian terraced shop in the Blackstock Road, Islington....<snip>... Renovation by insufficiently skilled builders can be quite a hazard. In this case it was probably work on a chimney breast which caused the problem.

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2006, 6:38pm

Thanks for that CW - I was merely very worried before but now need a change of underpants and fast Shocked

BTW my son is bigger and fitter than me and old enough to make his own mistakes - I just wish he would listen to me not his future in-laws.  He must get it from my late MIL his maternal Grandmother Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2006, 7:03pm

Print this topic and give it to him, it might just make him think about what he's doing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2006, 8:29am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1138615324/0#9 date=1138734213]Print this topic and give it to him, it might just make him think about what he's doing.

[/quote]Will do Jerry.  The most embarassing thing is that he is turning out just like my current neighbour who believes that surveyors, planning rules and building control do not refer to him Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2006, 5:45pm

Does he know that HIPS are coming? When his in-laws try and sell their house in a few years they might get a surprise.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1002882&PressNoticeID=1996

Currently very few buyers go for a full structural survey (They rely on their Building Societies valuation inspection instead) but HIPs will require the seller to get a reasonably detailed inspection done. I imagine that we will see HIP reports that say things like...

"Chimney breast recently removed. We were unable to asertain if this alteration was carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations. The seller was unable to provide details of Building Control Approval. We do not accept liability for...."

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2006, 6:39pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1138615324/0#11 date=1138815936]

"Chimney breast recently removed. We were unable to asertain if this alteration was carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations. The seller was unable to provide details of Building Control Approval. We do not accept liability for........"

[/quote]

.................sentence stops as chimney falls on surveyor  Roll Eyes Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:57am

Grin LOL Grin