Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 2:27pm
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Window in Single Skin Wall (Read 14750 times)
Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Window in Single Skin Wall
Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:19pm

Chaps

Is it feasable to install a double glazed UPVC window into a single skin brick wall ( the back of my garage )? Would it meet the approval of the BCO if fitted correctly.
There is no window installed at present

Thanks

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Window in Single Skin Wall
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:50pm

is the idea behind a  DG unit in a garage one of Aesthetics  (to match remaining house units!!), or to help insulate the garage!!

if it is for aesthetics only, then there is no problems, it just like installing a single skin, in that form a window is a window!!

however if for insulation values then, yes it is still ok to do so!, but, it will have little effect thermally due to single skin BkWk , and all the gaps around  the garage doors!!

just one other item, why if you are just replacing a window, like for like size i take it, would you need to contact the BCO... ???
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:51pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:01pm

Wolf.

I want to install a window because there isn't one there at present. Just looking for a bit of natural light to compliment the flourescent strip.
I've got a workbench at that end of the garage which would benefit 'cos my eyesight aint what it used to be.

The window would not overlook anything other than my garden so there shouldn't be any PP issues either.

I thought that the UPVC DG option would be best so as to get better seal as regards draughts etc although I'd go the wood route if it meant less hassle.

Gammy

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 5:54pm

Wolf, though the BCO needed to have his say for the replacement of windows if not being installed by a FENSA member.

An off the shelf DG window would be cheaper than getting a special with single glazing.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:33pm

If the garage is not an habitable room then a window does not need to conform to building regs and you don't need to inform the BCO.

One option is phone round a few window companies they sometimes make windows the wrong size and are then stuck with them and would sell it off cheap.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:31pm

Now there was me thinking that FENSA etc, is all about the actual spec for the windows them self!! not the actual fitting!!  a D/G window has to be at a certain spec level to be allowed to be fitted these days to comply with Part L,

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

cheltonian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:42pm

FENSA is a self-certification scheme which enables trade companies to certify their work without directly involving Building Control.

New windows and doors do not just have to comply with doc L but also to means of escape, ventilation, glazing in critical areas etc.

Replacing a window in your garage will not come under buidling regs. Virtually all upvc replacement windows are designed to take double glazed units, so fitting one with a single pane is more unlikely.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:48pm

Well thanks for that tid bit of info  Cheltonian, and welcome to our humble forum!!!
the reason i posted that statement was becausee the Heritage trusts i manufacture the odd window for; gave ME a few pages of spec from Fensa , so that any timber framed window with D/G units in comply to the regs they've highlighted for me!! strange, me thinks i will have to ask them about this!!!

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:50pm

Another aspect is listed buildings, they don't need to comply with building regs with regard to replacement windows.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:10pm

Yep!! i know the graded buildings don't , but for about the last 9-10 months the heritage people have been doing a revamp on some of their offices, and don't like using Plastic/metal windows, so keep opting for timber replacements with D/G units in them!!! Bloody pain they are too! all silly sized panes, fancy catches(usually the cast iron ones!-in BLACK!!) and of course i have to keep doing the windows, as i like the challenge of the Newels, spindles and other ancient timber items i have to duplicate for their listed/grades stock!!!!  "swings and roundabouts" i suppose...Ho hum!!!

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:00pm

I doubt that fitting a window alone to an existing garage would be enough for it to be considered a habitable room. But don't plaster board it as well...

I was reading a case recently where someone divided up a large tandem garage into a store room and a smaller garage. The store room was plastered but there was no heating etc

The BCO decided that because it had been plastered it was a habitable room that needed Building Control Approval! This despite the fact that a something like a "utility room" does not need Building Control Approval.

IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2006, 10:54pm

CW

Ultimately that's what I plan to do, but I'm looking into ways to make it demountable, so that if the BC turn up I can change it back without too much trouble. I kinda work in the trade ( Civil Eng ) so have access to shed loads of 'gash' timber, marine ply, electrics and stuff, all of which can help to keep the cost down
My only concern, however, is that should anything ever go wrong in there - fire, flood DEATH -  then I'm sure the house insurance would be invalid.

Gammy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print