Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:42pm
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kingspan in dormer ceiling.. (Read 9402 times)
TREV
GDPR opt-out

Kingspan in dormer ceiling..
Feb 25th, 2006, 11:07pm

Hi ...Just before christmas I repaired one of the kids bedroom ceiling..It had been damaged by a leak from the dormer flat roof..I took down the exsisting plasterboard ceiling 3m x 3m..I put in some kingspan insulation.re-boarded it then plastered it.. Over the past 3-4 weeks there has been a stange smell in the room can be quite strong..Done a finger tip search of the room and havent found anything that may be coursing it..My question is could the kingspan be the course of it..Have any of you had a similar problem with kingspan. ...cheers

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Kingspan in dormer ceiling..
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2006, 9:01am

I've never had any problems Undecided

Was there any possibility that the roof was still slightly damp when you sealed it all back up?

Did you provide ventilation above the insulation?

Could there be a dead mouse anywhere, even behind the plasterboard they stink, especially if they get damp ???

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2006, 9:13am

Never had any probs with Kingspan, it doesn't smell of anything at all.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TREV
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2006, 9:37am

Morning Woodsmith..Thank you for your reply..When I took down the original plasterboard the sterling board still seemed a bit damp..The guy who fixed the dormer roof ( Hertlan rubber sheet breathable which had been on 18 months now but thats another story) gave me a damp detector which showed no damp..I also left the ceiling open for 2 weeks with the central heating on...There is a air gap above the kingspan but only an inch or so at the higest point ( dormer roof slopes back to front) ..The dormer roof does actually hold water because of two seams on the rubber sheet that run across the roof ...Any more advice would be gladly received...No dead mice or bird ....Trev

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2006, 9:46am

Are you convinced the smell is coming from the ceiling?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2006, 9:53am

What sort of smell is it?

Pity you can't post the smell so we can all have a sniff Wink

As this is a kids bedroom any chance they have put something somewhere?

I did some work on a conservatory, the customer phoned a couple of days later to say the place smelt

When I went round I found a dead mouse in the bottom of a plant pot, it had probably made a home there while I was working. When I'd finished she watered the plant and drowned the mouse.

Boy did it pong Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TREV
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2006, 10:11am

We have been through the room with a fine tooth comb and not found anything that might be causing it ..Have also checked the roof space behind the dormer..Its dificult to explain a smell but it does smell like a tangy larger smell..( please no jokes just yet )...When you use rockwool insulation that has a similar smell.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2006, 10:17am

Did the carpet get wet and is now drying out  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TREV
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2006, 10:19am

Ive just got to go out now but I will be back later this evening...Cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TREV
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2006, 10:23am

No carpet totally dry as the leak was nearlly two years ago ...Roof repaired straight away but I had a problem with the standard of work done by the contractor hence the time period between roof repair and internal repair ...But the smell seems to have started shortly after puitting up the ceiling...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2006, 10:58am

Not got a part eaten sarnie wedged in with the kids toys, as ive had that when mine were small!!!! they had stuffed a sarnie in to a box of toycars to save having to eat the thing!!! well green when we found it!! YUCK!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2006, 1:26pm

The only thing I can think of now is to completely strip out everything from the room. See if the smell goes with the furniture. If its still in the room you will have a lot better chance of localising it, you could even put a dog in the room when empty and see if it is attracted to any particular area. The worry is that it is damp or mould Undecided

Other than that can you live with it?

IP Logged

TREV
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2006, 3:06pm

I think you are right Woodsmith about completly emptying the room...Damp or mould could be a worry....When the flat roof was being repaired the contractor rang me the day before he started to say they would board over the exsisting flat roof to get it done in the day..NO CHANCE BOARD OVER EXSISTING WET CHIPBOARD AS IT WAS THEN...Quote was    1..Take off exsisting chip board an replace with stirling board ..  2 Take out damp insulation and replace plus treat damp joists (woodwork).....When I took down the plasterboard ceiling there was rockwool insulation in there but it all had tons of old chipboard etc on top of it..Obviously never been replaced just left in there damp which ment no timber treatment had been done either ..Also some of the new stirling board has black spots on it hear and there ( mold I suppose)) Hence the reason the contractor was draged back thats when he lent me his damp meter and agreed to supply some Kingspan.This is two years down the line I wasan't going to do inside repair untill I knew the outside was o.k..I had to get a survey done by the suppler of the rubber sheet who got the contractor back to tidy up cetain areas of the rubber on the flat roof and seeal it against my ridge tiles... I wish I'd never seen this bloke and I wonder if the damage has already been done with them leaving the wet insulation in....But then again we didn't get the smell untill the ceiling was put back and sealed...Cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2006, 10:18pm

Hi TREV,
Just wondered if it's a 3m x3m sq ceiling does it have a light fitting in it? if so would it be possible to remove it and get your hooter up there, see if the pong is stronger, failing that could you make a smallish hole, damp does have a definate smell, but it's not easy to explain a smell is it. I have used kingspan that smelt quite strong when cutting, I suppose the nearest smell to it would be cat p**s (amonia) not that I make an habit of smelling catp**s you understand Shocked
One other thing if it is well sealed and you can smell it, then it should be a lot stronger sniffing it directly.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2006, 10:21pm by ChippyMal »  

The wife and I have a give and take relationship....................I give and she takes!!!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print