Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 12:29pm
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think i know the answer to this question- But? (Read 1290 times)
pault
GDPR opt-out

I think i know the answer to this question- But?
Jun 13th, 2006, 1:09pm

Hi lads

I am in the process of helping and elderly relative in gettin his hall stairs and landing inc ceilings plastered. Im starting to get quite good at skimming small areas as long as long as i stay away from ceilings  Roll Eyes

I intend to get a pro in to do the larger areas and ALL ceilings and boarding. However there are certain smaller square areas that i feel confident in tackling. Problem is they are all on the side walls and i suspect the ceilings will need boarding and taping beofre the pro would tackle the wall areas. Do you think i could do all the smaller side wall areas first before the plasterer comes in and boards and skims the ceilings.

I think the answer is no but im trying to reduce costs and gain more confidence in plastering which will only come from tackling small jobs and building up the meterage.

What would you suggest???

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: I think i know the answer to this question- Bu
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006, 7:56pm

Ceilings first!  If they are being re-boarded or even over-boarded then you really want to scrim the join between the ceiling and the wall (if the wall is being skimmed too).

So board the ceiling, scrim all joints and around wall edges and then plaster the ceiling.  Now plaster the walls.

Plastering the ceiling first also avoids the problem of plaster splashes from the ceiling work damaging/marking the walls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print