Quote: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dwarf wall shed base (Read 6499 times)
Deluks
GDPR opt-out

Dwarf wall shed base
Jul 21st, 2006, 4:00pm

Gonna be building a lean to shed against one wall of the garage. I was intending to build a brick wall 2 courses high to sit the 4x2 floor plates onto, to keep the timber off the ground and to keep out ground level crawlies etc.

I am using recycled bricks from an old garden wall, most of them are ok but I only have enough for 2 courses high.

I) Firstly, will 2 courses be enough or will they crack/crumble under the weight?  (8x12 timber frame with featheredge and OSB roof)

II) I will be using dpc between timber and brick, but how to fix to the wall without piercing the dpc?

I was thinking of screwing some galv band into the concrete floor with thunderbolts, laying bricks on top, then wrapping the lot up, around, and screwing into the timber. This will alleviate any cracking/weakening of the bricks caused by drilling.

Sound good?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Dwarf wall shed base
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2006, 8:04pm

Foundations?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Deluks
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:27am

Well theres a concrete slab about 4 inches thick (at least) that the whole thing will be sitting on. Do you think it would be necessary to dig into this just to support a couple of rows of bricks which are only to keep the timber off the floor?

Or should I chip a key into the concrete before laying first course?

The shed will be 7ft at highest point, sloping down to about 6'6
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:37am by Deluks »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:22am

A 4" slab will be more than adequate as a foundation!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:27am

[quote author=Deluks  link=1153494055/0#0 date=1153494055]

Firstly, will 2 courses be enough or will they crack/crumble under the weight?  (8x12 timber frame with featheredge and OSB roof)

[/quote]

er, house bricks start at 20 Newton so each brick could easily support 45 tonnes!

Quote:
I will be using dpc between timber and brick, but how to fix to the wall without piercing the dpc?

I was thinking of screwing some galv band into the concrete floor with thunderbolts, laying bricks on top, then wrapping the lot up, around, and screwing into the timber. This will alleviate any cracking/weakening of the bricks caused by drilling.

Sound good?

Yes, any form of galvanised bracket or strapping from the concrete base to the timber plate will be perfect.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print