Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 10:39am
Quote: 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Kitchen window opening (Read 5666 times)
woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Kitchen window opening
Jul 30th, 2006, 8:45am

Mark welcome to the forum

I worked on a house a few years back where they (for some obscure reason) fitted the lintels two courses above the window frame. All was well because the house had substantial wooden windows then they swapped them for UPVC and had almost exactly the problem you face. The bricks being loose above the lintel is a worry and IMHO requires investigation. although if Jerry comes along he would be better able to advise.

Fitting a new lintel is not necessarily a massive job but find a competent builder to do it. At the house I was working on the external lintel was removed and moved down 2 courses.

From a woody perspective, the hefty piece of wood screwed to the outside is a non starter not just practically but you would never be able to sell the house in the future.

Do the job properly, you won't regret it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2006, 9:50am

Unless you know what you are doing I would not recommend diy lintel installation!

This is a relatively simple job for a COMPETENT builder (make sure that's what you get) and could be
done in a day (excluding plastering/rendering etc).

Approximate cost about £350 - £500 + vat

Plastering/rendering another £150 + vat

Just a question though, if this was done a few years ago why is the protective tape still on the window frame?

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2006, 9:53am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2006, 3:09pm

I don't like the sound of your temporary wooden splint, particularly as you say there is a crack up there already and loose bricks. In that case you really should consider fixing the lot while you are at it.  

Did the same builder knock through the chimney breast? If so did he remove the chimney above or support as well as he did the wall above the window?

Edit: I'm not a professional so if this is totally wrong and the house falls down don't blame me.... I suspect a professional would check the inside wall as well and do both at once. He would probably make several holes right through both walls well above any problem areas. Insert supports right through the walls and then prop the ends of these supports inside and out. The props would need to be set carefully so that they are the right number along the wall and far enough out from the wall to allow work on the wall. Space constraints may require the lintel to be placed by the wall before the props are installed. The props remain in place until the entire job is done. Only then are they removed and the small holes bricked in.  The presence of the old chimney might mean additional support is essential.

Check your house insurance covers any damage if the lot falls down. Ditto your life insurance.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2006, 3:26pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2006, 5:45pm

[quote author=mark_k  link=1154199977/0#3 date=1154261758]

As for the piece of wood. It wouldn't be a permanent measure, just to take the weight of the wall above whilst the lower bricks are removed and a lintel installed.

[/quote]

How can a piece of wood support a wall above when it is fixed to that wall itself?  The wall would be holding up the wood  Roll Eyes

Quote:
I've replaced a small wooden lintel before that wasn't even holding up the wall above - it had that much play in it that it just slid right out.

You were lucky then, what would you have done if the bit of wood had been tight?

Quote:
I know it would be better to leave the job to a professional builder, but I want to do the job myself.

If I was to get a builder to do the job, what would they do to stop the wall above from falling down?

Why do you want to do it yourself?  You have no Public Liability insurance so what happens if everything goes wrong and there's an accident (to you or the house)?  The fact that you're asking 'how to stop the wall above from falling down' tells me you should not be doing this!

Also the fact that you were hoping to screw a bit of wood to the wall to hold the wall up also tells me you should not be doing this!  Wink

Structural alterations to external walls have to be done properly and the complete method cannot be explained on an internet forum by someone who has not seen the job.

Also, do the upstairs floor joists or any trimmers rest on this wall that's due to be altered?

You could bring the whole lot down  Shocked Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2006, 8:15am

[quote author=mark_k  link=1154199977/0#6 date=1154287462]I'm not affraid to try a job myself - before I attempt someting I ask for advice on how to do it (that's what I'm doing on here (this site's called 'Ask The Trades' isn't it? so that's what I'm doing) The only answer that I'm picking up at the moment is 'Get a tradesman to do the job' which isn't helping.
[/quote]

It may not be helping, but it is good advice non the less.

Why not compromise? Get a builder to move the lintel and then do all the making good yourself, that should save you about 50% of the cost.

IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2006, 12:59pm

Wise words Woodsmith. A chap should always know his limits, particularly when there is potential for making things worse rather than better. Just speak to the householders of a small Leicestershire village that I managed to temporarily get cut off from their water supply about 25yrs ago whilst doing something that I should have left to someone more experienced.

Stick with what you know and leave the rest to the pro's

Gammy

IP Logged

Deluks
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2006, 4:32pm

To quote mark_k

"I know it would be better to leave the job to a professional builder, but I want to do the job myself"

There you have it chaps, he's gonna go about it anyway by the sounds of it so I don't see a problem with giving him some pointers.  
 I've never done this kind of work before so the only advice I'm going to give would be: Get a hard hat!   Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2006, 8:38pm

My dog needs a heart bypass operation, I've asked for instructions on 'how to do it' on a veterinary forum.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2006, 8:45pm

Quote:
To quote mark_k

"I know it would be better to leave the job to a professional builder, but I want to do the job myself"

There you have it chaps, he's gonna go about it anyway by the sounds of it so I don't see a problem with giving him some pointers.  
 I've never done this kind of work before so the only advice I'm going to give would be: Get a hard hat!   Undecided

You cannot safely do this type of work with just a few pointers.  You have to know everything from start to finish and have all the necessary tools, plant and materials ready.  What if we gave him a few pointers and he attempted the job but got injured or destroyed half the house?  Would that have been good advice?

It's called 'Ask the Trades', you have asked and been advised not to do this yourself as a completely untrained and inexperienced person.

Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Deluks
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2006, 2:26am

Quote:
My dog needs a heart bypass operation, I've asked for instructions on 'how to do it' on a veterinary forum.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1355712

Seems straighforward enough to me!    oh wait a minute, one of the sparks has wandered off with my paracorporeal roller pump.  Roll Eyes

Mark_k is now an ex-forum member. Did he get the boot or can we assume that his timber support thing let him down at a critical moment?  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2006, 10:01am

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1355712

Seems straighforward enough to me!    oh wait a minute, one of the sparks has wandered off with my paracorporeal roller pump.  Roll Eyes

Mark_k is now an ex-forum member. Did he get the boot or can we assume that his timber support thing let him down at a critical moment?  Undecided

no you dont gey the boot for having an oppinion or even disagreeing
you dont even get the boot for abuse[unless you dont heed copious warnings] Grin Grin

ex member is where someone removes there account

and only the posts they chose to remove are removed

if the posts went with there resignation a lot of threads wouldnt make sence

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2006, 6:02pm

Has Mark got the hump because we didn't think it was a good idea to do the lintel work himself?

Very strange  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2006, 8:34pm

Perhaps he doesn't want any evidence that he was advised not to do it himself.

His life insurance might not pay up if the whole lot collapses on him Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print