Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:53pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiles on the diagonal (Read 2473 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Tiles on the diagonal
Sep 14th, 2006, 3:04pm

I was thinking of laying some floor tiles on the diagonal. I've not done this before (on the diagonal) but I can see a potential problem...

If you lay row of tiles with a corner against a wall the tiles that need to be cut to fit will be triangles (obviously) but they will have to be made by cutting square tiles corner to corner. On past experience I anticipate a very large breakage rate with lots of corners breaking off.

Presumably its better to lay the tiles so that the cuts are aren't fully corner to corner or is there a way to avoid this?

Any advice welcome.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Tiles on the diagonal
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2006, 3:27pm

Quote:
I anticipate a very large breakage rate with lots of corners breaking off.  

why??

i bought a decent pro tile cutter with replacable blades, and just used that to score my kitchen tiles which i laid on the diagonal, and i think i only lost a couple, which ended up being used as cuts else where....

as for laying them out, i was taught by some nutty Italian guy, who used to "png a chalk line central first, then work from this, and would do alot of the floor DRY and then make the majority of the cuts, then work through what he had!! so basically you got what ever cuts there was going to be , he always preached about "All-aways , buta all-aways keepa to a da line a centralla!" (naff accent i know!!)

no doubt JasonB will be able to offer up more advise than i , or even Sailfish Honey, if shes a listening in...

but get a decent tile cutter!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2006, 3:53pm

AS wolf says a decent tile cutter makes all the difference, preferably one where the "snapper" can be used along the whole length of the cut, something like a RUBI Star50 or pocket 50 will do 300x300 diaagonals and not cost too much.

As with any tiling you should not start with a full (or half corner to corner) tile on one wall as you will no doubt end up with an odd size on the oposite wall and if the two walls are not parallel it will look fine on one side and well off on the other.

Set out from cross lines that are central to the pairs of walls.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2006, 8:25pm

Thanks. I see what you are saying.

IP Logged