Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 10:36am
Quote: They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening' - Then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Floating Shelves......Again ?! (Read 7725 times)
Mr_Mike
GDPR opt-out

Floating Shelves......Again ?!
Sep 28th, 2006, 2:37pm

Hi all & particularly Jasonb if his brains are around to be picked so to speak....

O.K. I have a customer that wants 2 x 3600mm shelves at almost ceiling height either side of her hallway. 25mm MDF, paperback deep and no brackets on show. One wall is brick, the other studwork. The shelves are just to take paperback books.

Have read several threads, particularly from Jasonb, outlining his method of bedding M12 threaded rod say 4" to 6" into a 14mm hole in the wall and say 2/3rd's into the shelf itself....eh voila, floating shelves. They look great & I've made floating shelves for alcove spaces, but not using threaded rod & not 3.6m long before.....

My questions are :

1/ for 25mm MDF would you recommend 8, 10 or 12mm steel rods ? I don't have a drill press but have a drill guide.....and errr....my super chippy skills to ensure the holes are drilled square !?

2/ what resin do you recommend to bond the rods in with.....? how long does it take to go off ?

3/ for ease of fitting them and machining them to size, I was thinking of 3 x 1200mm shelves (to make the 3600mm). Would 2 x rods per shelf suffice ? Also, am concerned about getting all 3 perfectly flush in a row, with no gaps. Any advice there (apart from making sure all holes are drilled spot on square / level and the rods are bedded in perfectly level ?) Was thinking of a simple 2x4 jig with 2 holes for the drilling, but if the hole in the wall is to be made 2mm bigger than the rod (presumably for the resin), would that not make it more difficult to get the rods perfectly level ? Would I be better going for a 2.4m & 1.2m length together ?

Would this be safe enough for the studwall too ?

Questions, questions..... Smiley

All methods and advice appreciated !

Cheers....Mike  

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Floating Shelves......Again ?!
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2006, 4:35pm

See reply on SF Forum

J

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2006, 5:11pm

OI!! JB , NO SWEARING this is the public section!!

Quote:
See reply on SF Forum

LOL Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2006, 5:47pm

I'm more worried about being known as an expert on floaters Grin

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mr_Mike
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2006, 5:48pm

Thanks for your help JB. Have replied on the SF forum  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mr_Mike
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2006, 6:23pm

....just a thought.....do you think think the 6-12-6mm laminate will be strong enough from the 6mm point of view ? She's pretty adamant she doesn't want the shelves more than 25mm thick. I guess with an even load it should be fine......right ?

Just call me Mr Worry  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2006, 6:39pm

The 6/12/6 will possibly be a bit stronger than solid 25mm, you are basically making a torsion box.

You can always run the sizes through the sagulator

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mr_Mike
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2006, 7:28pm

Hmmm....have driven myself potty before with that 'sagulator' matrix....

Will put together a mock-up and see how it get's on  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sg123
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:26pm

Hi Jason B,

You mentioned in answer to Mike's floating shelf enquiry that the answers were on the SF forum - do you know how I get there as I would like to use the same method to put some up.

Steve

Quote:
Hi all & particularly Jasonb if his brains are around to be picked so to speak....

O.K. I have a customer that wants 2 x 3600mm shelves at almost ceiling height either side of her hallway. 25mm MDF, paperback deep and no brackets on show. One wall is brick, the other studwork. The shelves are just to take paperback books.

Have read several threads, particularly from Jasonb, outlining his method of bedding M12 threaded rod say 4" to 6" into a 14mm hole in the wall and say 2/3rd's into the shelf itself....eh voila, floating shelves. They look great & I've made floating shelves for alcove spaces, but not using threaded rod & not 3.6m long before.....

My questions are :

1/ for 25mm MDF would you recommend 8, 10 or 12mm steel rods ? I don't have a drill press but have a drill guide.....and errr....my super chippy skills to ensure the holes are drilled square !?

2/ what resin do you recommend to bond the rods in with.....? how long does it take to go off ?

3/ for ease of fitting them and machining them to size, I was thinking of 3 x 1200mm shelves (to make the 3600mm). Would 2 x rods per shelf suffice ? Also, am concerned about getting all 3 perfectly flush in a row, with no gaps. Any advice there (apart from making sure all holes are drilled spot on square / level and the rods are bedded in perfectly level ?) Was thinking of a simple 2x4 jig with 2 holes for the drilling, but if the hole in the wall is to be made 2mm bigger than the rod (presumably for the resin), would that not make it more difficult to get the rods perfectly level ? Would I be better going for a 2.4m & 1.2m length together ?

Would this be safe enough for the studwall too ?

Questions, questions..... Smiley

All methods and advice appreciated !

Cheers....Mike  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2008, 2:58pm

A guide to Floating shelf construction

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB