Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:48pm
Quote: There is no sense in being pessimistic. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bathroom wall covering... (Read 2235 times)
nusku
GDPR opt-out

Bathroom wall covering...
Oct 11th, 2006, 9:14am

I have recently removed all the dodgy colour tiles from the walls in my bathroom. I then set about the walls with a steamer to remove all of the tile ashesive!

This has left me with bare plaster walls with a slight sheen to them that look like they have just been plastered!

I was wondering if you had to have tiles around the bath and sink top or if you could just paint the walls with bathroom paint right up to the bath

Any advice appreciated! Smiley

IP Logged

corablimey
GDPR opt-out

Re: Bathroom wall covering...
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2006, 7:10am

There is no rule saying you have to have tiles, I have seen quite a few kitchens and bathrooms with no tiles behind the cooker, sink or even the bathroom sink.
The only thing is with the bathroom paint is that it has a sheen to it, and you would probably have to wipe it down more than tiles, but if thats what you want to do, I cant see why not. Smiley

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2006, 6:07pm

I have no tiles behind my cooker or sink in my kitchen, just eggshell paint.

I suppose it makes no difference in a bathroom really as long as the tops of the bath and basin are sealed so as not to let any moisture in.

I have seen no end of houses with just one course of tiles round bath and basin, and thinking about it as I type this, it does throw any moisture away from the wall where they touch.

The more I think about it, I would go for tiles.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2006, 8:25pm

I suspect that paint would attract mold more readily than say gloss tiles would. Mold killer usually contains chlorine bleech and I guess that might effect paint.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print