Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 3:28pm
Quote: A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WINDOW SILL PAINTING (Read 11962 times)
sparxxxx

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

WINDOW SILL PAINTING
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:29pm

I've got sand and cement window sills. they all have small cracks too big to be filled with gloss paint. I was thinking of using white floor paint - would this work? There used to be a product called something like "polybond" that was used for painting over danp masonry.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: WINDOW SILL PAINTING
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006, 4:53pm

Paint's not really designed for this. I think some form of resin is used to repair cracks in concrete.

Google found this company. Looks like they might have the right sort of product for repairing larger cracks in concrete. Not sure if they have a DIY product though..

http://www.rockbond.co.uk

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2006, 5:07pm

sparxxxx wrote on Nov 6th, 2006, 12:29pm:
I've got sand and cement window sills. they all have small cracks too big to be filled with gloss paint.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Is a gloss finish want you want?
Is the masonry still damp?

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparxxxx

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2006, 6:04pm

Hammie, just something that will stay white and not fade, bridge the gaps and yes gloss would be preferred, the masonry is not damp.
I should also add the masonry finish is not perfectly smooth so filler would look awful. Also it is extemely hard and nigh on impossible to rake out the cracks.
Thats why I am thinking of a thick paint type covering of some kind that would provide an overall new surface.
Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparxxxx

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2006, 6:09pm

CW, Thanks for taking the time, as you implied I think they deal in tanker loads rather than a cupful. I suppose I could break in and nick some! Embarrassed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2006, 10:09pm

Probably not textbook stuff, and it's always nice to see what your talking about, so forgive me if this sounds crap. I am assuming the cracks are a little bit bigger than hair cracks, so could you not mix up some exterior polyfilla, which is cement based and push it in with your finger, then wet finger and smooth it off. Then a couple of coats of exterior masonry paint. Being water based it will stay white.

I think that sounds worse than it is.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparxxxx

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006, 12:11pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006, 3:21pm

Actually I was going to suggest the same when I read it a few days ago, but I couldnt picture the window sill in my head if you know what I mean.

What hammy says will work, cause thinking back I have done it, not pushed into the cracks though, but sort of opened the cracks up wider, and filled, rubbed down, then filled again till its flush with the rest of the sill.

This might sound daft whats coming next, but again it will work and hold it the filler and prevent it from cracking.
Dilute sparingly a little PVA, whack that on the first filled rubbed down crack, when dry, fill again if its still proud, rub down again till flush, then whack again PVA on the crack.
When dry, undercoat and gloss as normal.

When I go into a job, and they have had cracks that have been filled but have opened up again, I use the PVA trick, and I open thier cracks wider, fill like I said above, and PVA each rubbed down layer of filler, what this does is, the PVA seals the filler, gives it like a hard eggshell feel, and gives the crack protection and helps to stop the crack from cracking again.

I have done this many times on inside jobs, and I even did it one time on window frames, and on a bungelow walls, and emuslioned afterwards and its has held, its worth a try. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print