Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 2:51am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which tile cutter to buy? (Read 12265 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Which tile cutter to buy?
Dec 12th, 2006, 11:53pm

I've done quite a bit of DIY tiling in the past but so far I've only needed to cut glazed ceramic tiles and I've had good results cutting those using hand tools. Now it looks looks like my next project will involve cutting some 10cm square 10mm thick travertine. I suspect I'll need something better than a sharp nail to do that well.

I was surprised to see how reasonably priced some of these cutting machines are at Screwfix but without seeing them it's hard to tell if they are cheap and nasty or quality items.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101289&ts=65090

After the small travertine job I've got two small bathrooms (walls and floors) and a kitchen splashback to do. Probably all ceramic 10mm thick or less. It's unlikely I'd ever want to cut really big/thick floor tiles but which machine to go for? Any recommendations welcome.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Which tile cutter to buy?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2006, 7:43am

One of the better quality Plasplug (£50-70)ones will probably do all you need. Unlike the metal topped ones they have a plastic top covered in metal which provides a gutter all round the edge to catch some of the water, the rest still hits you in the crotch Embarrassed.

I've used them on 15mm slate, 10mm stone & glass 10mm porcelain etc and they work well for the money.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2006, 6:43pm

Quote:
Unlike the metal topped ones they have a plastic top covered in metal which provides a gutter all round the edge to catch some of the water, the rest still hits you in the crotch Embarrassed.

I've got that T-shirt Roll Eyes I was talking to a customer and she couldn't keep her eyes off my erm Wink, when I looked down a big terracotta stain ran from the crotch down  Embarrassed

I've got one of the metal topped ones, they all look pretty much the same machine but some have larger motors. The fence on mine is a complete pain, jamming all the time but it cuts tiles.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2006, 10:06pm

That was ketch-up from ya Big Mac dude!!!! Grin Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2006, 10:49pm

TIMBA-WOLF wrote on Dec 13th, 2006, 10:06pm:
That was ketch-up from ya Big Mac dude!!!! Grin Grin

Grin

but.............

I'm probably the only person in the UK, maybe even the world, that has NEVER eaten a Big Mac
I bought one once but it looked and smelt so disgusting  Smiley  

I put it straight in the bin Tongue

IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2007, 3:33pm

I got a cheap Erbauer wet tile cutter from Screwfix but it's awful. It's virtually impossible to empty the water tray without spilling and the cutting isn't great.  Angry

I have since upgraded to a plasplugs machine (about £70 I think) and it's great (even though it had Tommy Walsh on the box).

Makes life so much easier.  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2008, 1:29am

I bought a cheap tile cutter from Toolstation a few years ago (NuTool I think the brand was).  I think it was about 30 or 40 quid at the time.  Sounds the same as the Erbauer one jimcam has - the water tray IS impossible to take out without tipping its contents everywhere.

The answer I found was to only use the machine outside - and without the water.  This way the dust doesn't matter a bit (I've always assumed that the water was only there to limit the dust) and haven't had any problems with either machine or tiles overheating.  I've used it for my bathroom (porcelein wall and ceramic floor tiles) and my kitchen (10mm porcelein floor and ceramic wall tiles) and only got through 2 cutting wheels so far.

I think it's one of the most useful tools I've ever bought (along with my cordless drill and angle grinder) - especially for the price it was.  I've even cut internal curves in 10mm thick tiles where they fit round the quadrant shower tray in the bathroom.  Takes ages, but gets pretty neat results.

I would quite honestly get the cheapest one you can find and give it a go on a couple of spare tiles.

Cheers,

Andy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print